Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DanBov

Dutch Grader Blade

MadMike
Dutch, I would also be interested. I'm also wondering if it would be possible to buy just the frame prints? I know you normally include these with a blade, but, my hope is that there will be enough interest to warrant a second bulk blade order and while we are all waiting, we could be fabricating frames. Thanks, MadMike

Dutch
Here’s what’s happening. In addition to the club members that have indicated they would like a blade, several unsuccessful eBay bidders have contacted me. I’ve also had quite a few “locals” contact me. One complete stranger went to my daughter’s house to find out where I got my blade because he went to Home Depot to buy a box blade and “some guy” told him he saw me working my tractor while driving past. Because many people also want to buy a hitch, I contacted a few manufacturers. Two national manufacturers expressed an interest in marketing and distributing my design. I don’t believe I’ll be going that route, but I want to learn the details before I make a decision. Until then, I won’t be doing anything. The two blades I sold on eBay did well. If nothing develops with the national manufacturers, I’ll most likely be ordering more blades myself. Should know in the next week or two, and I’ll keep the club posted. I’d also like to get some feedback from club members who bought a blade.

Leroy
Dutch what is the radius of that blade. Im thinking they are just cut out of a tube then the teeth are relived and the blade is prolly heat treated . But then maybe not heat treated. The mass of the blade looks like it would be difficult to damage. the weaker link being the connections to the tractor. Thanks Leroy

Dutch
Leroy, Never measured the radius. Guess I could if it was an issue. Don’t know the manufacturing details. Doubt the blade is cut from a tube. Seems to me it would be easier to start with flat stock and roll a curve. I could be wrong……. Again. Connections (hitch points) are usually the weak link with most attachments (they’re designed that way to reduce failure expense). Operator manuals usually explain to go slow, use attachments as they were designed to be used, and let tractor power do the work. The same applies to the largest machines. I cringe when I see an operator take a “running start” and “bounce” a machine off an object. When an operator abuses a machine like that, many times the hitch points do not fail. Rather, some serious frame bending or other major component breakage usually occurs.

KevinD
Dutch, I too would be very interested in obtaining a blade and hitch mount. It is an awesome looking piece. Please let us know if you are going to be ordering anymore. Thank you. KevinD

thedaddycat
I have one of those blades. Though I have yet to fabricate my mount (I'm putting it on the hitch for my Heavy Duty dozer blade) I have painted it orange. While painting it I looked closely at the serrations. My guess is that they were cut with either an O-A or plasma cutter mounted to a CNC robot unit of some sort. Radius was 18" if I recall correctly.