Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

Transmission swap?

thedaddycat
Hey there tractor folks, here's another chapter in the ongoing saga of man and machine... I took the tranny from the Landlord and it bolts right up to the side plates. The problem is that it is a 3 speed and I have the variable drive set up. What is the easiest way to make it work? Since my original gearbox is apart already, I'm thinking just pop this one open and put my pulley shaft in this transmission. Is it better to use the shaft only, or shaft and gears as a unit? Any other considerations to be aware of? As you can see, the BGB shaft and keyway stick out much farther than the 3 speed. On the ground you can see the original support plates I made, along with new templates for new ones that go the full length of the side plates and attach to both the transmission and BGB, along with the frame. Also shown is a side plate from the Landlord. It locates the BGB about 4" closer to the tranny than mine. Here is the layout for the new plates. The other template matches the frame crossmember the BGB mounts to. These smaller brackets will have the sides bent to match the frame side angle(one on each side of frame crossmember, diffefent angles for front and rear)and will be held on by the four bolts holding the BGB to the frame. When the long support plates are in place and solidly bolted up, I will drill through all three layers at once(plate, frame, and bracket) and bolt it all together. When the nuts are tight I may even tack weld them to the brackets. I will then have 5 additional bolts on each side along with the rear running board bolt and the two lift mount bolts holding the support plate to the frame. At the rear it will be held on by 9 bolts per side, all existing already. I may need to get longer bolts in some cases. This is 1/4" plate I'm using for fabrication.

SmilinSam
I was building a "test" tractor from spare parts once and put a 3 speed out of a 64 landlord in a 76 700 series AC. I just used the frame plates from a 3400 series 3 speed tractor with a bad tranny and they bolted right into the case on the older tranny. Had to modify the brake and the shifter (for the safety switch). You should be fine swapping shafts in the gear box.