Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What makes the resale on tractors so high ???

quantico

I am shopping for a 14 year old simplicity tractor and I am amazed that it can command 2500 used with 600 - 800 hours on it ??? The new ones are 8000 dollars for a new legacy, which I guess would be the replacement for this old sunstar ?? But I am stunned as the new tractors have much better engines and the rollers for grass and mulching kits, and better electronic ignition. The new ones also offer one pin deck change out and new paint and a warrenty etc... What is driving the old tractor prices staying so high ??? I can fix that with duct tape **

Supply and demand might very well be the reason......The old tractors have a proven track record and it is tough to argue with success. Whether it is deserved or not the new tractors are still being evaluated. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather pay for a tried and true veteran than risk my $$$$ on a yet unproven rookie. What kills me is what a Ford 8N goes for......Sometimes you just have to sit back and scratch your head !!!!!Have fun with whatever you decide to buy...........Scot Mechanical things must not upset me.(repeat 100 times a day)

Another reason could possibly be buyers are suffering from "sticker shock". To many people a mower is a mower and they cant justify dropping 8 grand on a lawn implement. Word gets around and the older tractors from a reputable line will get the nod before a Wally-World Murray designed to self-destruct in a couple years and a big buck new model from a good manufacturer. The vast majority of us are labeled as "middle income" and we do most of our buying in the middle price range, just about where that Sunstar is located. Dick

I think everyone is right on...here's my story. We built on 2.1 acres of grass two years ago. I went to Home Depot and spent $1400 on a 17hp/42" cut "Scotts" mower. It had a "cast iron front axle" which I had been told was a real sign of quality. After two seasons of the worst cut you can imagine, I started mowing this season and the front wheel fell off right in the middle of mowing. Last year, a stearing gear broke and my son almost went into the creek. The first year, I went through two idler pullies on the deck before Scotts sent me a "new style." Evidently, I wasn't the only one with a problem. After the embarassment of almost sailing over the front of the mower when the wheel came off, I decided to buy quality. I love Simplicity mowers and cut, so I went to a local dealer. I almost DIED when I saw the price tag. Then, he showed me a nice-looking 7117 that he said was manufactured around 1989. He wanted $2800 for it with the vacuum attachment and cart. He was also willing to fix and sell my Scotts for me, and give me the difference. That was a deal, as far as I was concerned. Thanks to everyone here, I'm working some bugs out of the 7117, particularly with the mower deck, but at least the wheels haven't fallen off!

I have the 7117 also. i paid 1200 for unit with a mower deck. I liked the cut and the power. But 2 years since i have owned it the motor has broken both rods. i only have a half acre and i dont abuse the engine. I got a lemon . But im not willing to give someone 450 for another used engine and 800 for a new one is also unacceptable. So it sits. Im looking for a old timers Cub Cadet now. and im hopeing to get it for 600.

The old ones are made of cast iron and steel. The new ones are made of plastic and aluminum. Quite a difference in durability, quality, and wear resistance. Even though a Briggs&Stratton engine may be 40 years old, parts are still readily available. And then there is the Tractorholic syndrome. Can't beat the ole' stuff. DaveG

After time SOME people come around and spend money to buy a quality machine. What I hate is when they do that and still treat it like it was one of the disposable brands and just don't take care of it. Then they complain that they spend all that money and it still breaks down and costs so much to fix. I could never figure out why I liked to see a broken down Simplicity come into the shop, but then I figured it out and that is that they are so much easier to work on. How many brands can you name that you can pull four or less pins out,drop the deck and then pull the deck out from under the tractor without lifting the front tires off the ground? I have even pulled the deck off just to sharpen the blades. They sure now what they are doing. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for"

Yep the 7117 is easy to get the deck off . Id say they knew what they "WERE" doing. and longivity is a thing of the past. I bought mine from a shop that took it in trade . And they said they serviced that machine for many years and the old guy didnt like the deck rod as it was difficult for him to get on and off so he bought another with out the rod where it was located on the 7117. I did take care of my motor in that i have a half acre to mow and i didnt chage the oil in two years but it never got low. in those two years i had 4 or 5 mows. I would say that was not enough time to waste the oil enough to turn it into tar and slow the pistons down enough to overwork the rods to the point of failure. thats kinna what the engine looks like. burnt rods and no other discoloration. add to that broken cylinder skirts. and it looks to me like i will need a rod piston cylinder job at minumum. or buy a used engine from who knows who and from what and what kind of care it had. Or get the big gouge and pay the 800 bucks fer a new one. I still have my 1974 doge van it still runs but i dont run it because it's seen better days. know to smell the oil and feel the oil and i know when it is time. So im thinking this one was about up on hours when i got it. Leroy

From everything I've heard, the earliest Kohler KT17 engines (Series I) have a reputation for having oiling problems, especially when mowing on hillsides. These problems were fixed in the later Series II engines with a pressurized lube system, but by then the bad reputation seems to have "stuck"... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I have a 1978 7117 that was repowered with a rebuilt 18HP magnum about 3 years ago just before I got it. I love the power it has. Only problem I've had is I had to change the needle valve in the carb.