Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DUUHHHH!

StinKy

My 23-D Briggs took to skipping & sputtering yesterday smack in the middle of my mowing session. Tried carb adjustments, took bowl off carb & cleaned, replaced filter, checked for spark (used my usual method-----got zapped) nothing made a difference. Started mowing again and noticed the ignition toggle switch was slowly rotating in it's hole in the dash panel. Tightened the retaining ring on the switch and VOILA!! that steady beat only an old Briggs can produce was back.................The problem was literally "under my nose". I guess the lesson is check those LITTLE things. Dick

Ah the little things. My Vangaurd wouldn't run right. Spewed black smoke to no end and couldn't pull it's own wieght. How that air filter got so plugged is beyond me.

Had rebuilt my K321 in my Case, fixed bad wiring, put on new points and plug went through all the preps to fire her up. She started right up, a few minutes later, sputter, cough, nothing. Started thinking what did I forget! Did I put oil, in? Is it wired wrong! I must have done something catrasrophically wrong. Went around in circles for a good 20 minutes. Then my ten year old son (shop foreman) comes into the garage and says, "Daddy did you check the gas"..........DUH! .....Art

One of the easiest things to overlook, is the obvious. Can't count the number of times that I have done everything possible to isolate an ignition problem, only to find the flywheel key sheared. Pat

Checklists, checklists, checklists. Make complete checklist for every job, and follow them. I used to race cars, and we had checklists for EVERYTHING. I mean from engine teardowns, to packing toilet paper in the trailer (most tracks have none!)