Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 SLOW REAR RAM

bill_g

MY 9020 HAS A SLOW REAR RAM BUT THE FRONT SEAMS TO WORK JUST FINE. SO I ROTATED THE RAMS AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED, SLOW LIFT. SO IT IS NOT THE RAM WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE? THANKS BILL

You know its not the pump or the cylinder, so it has to be either the control valve leaking by or the hydrulic line restricted in some way. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Check the through bolt that your control levers piviot on, if it is loose or worn your control lever hits the console before complete travel is reached. Old AC mechanic,

THE HOSES LOOK FINE IT MUST BE THE CONTROL VALVE WHERE IS IT AND ABOUT HOW MUCH FOR A NEW ONE. BILL

The control valve is what your lift control lever is connected to. It might just need new 0 rings and seals. Plus check the travel in the lever. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Bill, I agree, it sounds like the control valve. These valves were made by Cessna, (Yup, the aircraft company) and I've had no luck finding parts. If you do, please let me know. Thanks, Paul

Yup, Cessna made the pump for the Ark 700 loader on the 620 AC's. I am still running the Cessna pump on my 620, but no parts available. Good luck on finding parts, but if you do, let us know, wonders never cease. Floydster

I should have said Ceesna also made the pump for the 700 Ark loader, and also the control valve for the loader. I did not know they made the control valve for the tractor, good info Paul. Floydster

Bill, Try this, just for kicks. Pull back on your rear control lever and start lifting, now feather back the front lift lever at the same time. I'll bet you'll really get some lifting speed out the rear cylinder now! Sorry, it doesn't fix the problem with your control valve - but, I used one for years that worked that way. Takes a little technique to pull both at the same time, but it works. Good luck. Jeff

Floyd, The Cessna pump (I believe) matches common National Fluid Power Association mounting standards and should be replaceable with any gear pump of the same NFPA mounting flange and similar flow rating. I don't think there are NFPA Standards for surface mounting of control valves unless they're of the modular type. My Danco loader came without a pump, so I had to fabricate a bracket and purchased a pump from Northern. You have to be careful selecting a pump cuz not all pumps have bearings suited for the side loading of a belt drive. Many are only designed for direct coupling. Just thought y'all might find this info useful for future reference. Paul

Paul: I'm not fortunate enough (yet?) to have a tractor with hydraulics, but I thought you made an excellent point about needing a pump designed for the sideloads inherent in a v-belt drive. That seems like an easy mistake to make. In repairing the gastank on a Landlord recently, I was rather shocked to discover the gas tank is made of ALUMINUM. Either from the missing hood bolts, or general carelessness, the tank filler neck had been knocked loose from the tank. I didn't know you could solder aluminum, with ordinary solder, until I did so, but you can! It appeared that there was solder there originally, as well. (Side question: Does this surprise anybody, that you can solder aluminum?) Being an aviation fan, I immediately thought of the heavy usage of aluminum by general aviation mfrs. like Cessna, so you can imagine my surprise when I learned that Cessna actually did make parts (albeit hyrdraulic ones) for Simplicity! I couldn't imagine why Simplicity would use aluminum for a gas tank, as it costs more to mfr. with aluminum than with steel. So anyway, I was thinking--why did they use aluminum? The only thing I came up with, until your post, Paul, was that aluminum is less prone to fuel contamination from corrosion, than is a steel tank. Now for some time, I've been wondering if Simplicity didn't do a lot of shopping for "off the shelf" components that serve well, but cost less than if they designed everything themselves. As I've become familiar with the Wonderboys and Landlords, I've been increasingly struck by this suspicion, i.e., that the tractors are very SIMPLE, and are largely made from parts I believe I've seen on various other types of equipment. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but is Simplicity a success story/example of "parts bin" engineering? Re: the hyd. valves made by Cessna--do you suppose Cessna made a bunch of lightweight hydraulic valves, for their retractable landing gear models, and for whatever reason, they were not approved by the FAA, (as I believe all Gen. Aviation parts must be) so that Cessna was forced to sell them for a nonaviation application, at a price that was attractive to Simplicity? Why else would a garden tractor company be sourcing from an aircraft company, given that generally, aviation (and to a lesser extent, marine) grade parts cost more than "general application" grade parts? So now I'm trying to imagine what use Cessna could have had for the small, aluminum gastanks that came in the Landlords (NOT that I know for a fact that Cessna built the tanks--it's just a theory...) and I'm thinking maybe their hydraulic landing gear retraction systems needed a reservoir tank? Why else would the gas tank be made from aluminum? Peter

Fixed the problem temporarily by tighting the control valve mounting bolts,and removing the metal bracket around the levers. Thanks to all that put in their 2 cents worth. Bill

Peter, Your suspicion about these valves may be true. I'm sure that Simplicity went for an off the shelf part as opposed to designing one themselves. Everyone in the hydraulics industry is doing that now if they can. The valve may have been marketed by Cessna strictly for the small mobile hydraulics market though. The reason I say this is because it is a heavy cast iron valve, where most new modular valves these days are indeed aluminum bodies. Perhaps Cessna toyed with the mobile hydraulics market as a diversification of it's hydraulics experience? Perhaps Simplicity purchased from them because noone else made a valve that small (ie flow rating/small cylinders) at the time? Paul

Were the cylinders made by cessna also? Just ordered one from the green boys today for 137 dollars plus shipping. With my 3pt done sure can't see changing it out in the dirty field conditions very often. Are the quick connections used on the power max available anywhere??thanks..MPH

Paul: Yeah, I didn't give any thought to the type of material used for the valves, but as you point out, I don't see cast iron as the first choice, given the need to save weight in light planes. However, for that matter, I don't see why Simplicity used a lightweight material (aluminum) in a garden tractor, for a gas tank, but at least it doesn't hurt performance, as would unnecessarily-heavy cast iron hyd. valves, in an airplane. More mysteries, huh? Peter

MPH, I forget who makes the lift cylinders, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Cessna. That lift cylinder that you bought from your JD dealer, is the exact same lift cylinder that Simplicity used on these PowerMax's. Jeff