Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What = rebuilt

Leroy

I see adds that say rebuilt. Meaning the changed the blown head gasket? When the factory rebuilds a motor they give you a warrentee. when a home grown rebuilder does the work he is setting himself up if he offers a warrentee. or the said warrentee is only as good as the small print. Does it really take so much space to say all seals bearings and gaskets are factory spec and are new? pistons are perfect and .000 right on, the rods are new or are within ".000" of tolarance of stretch and necking. it does not take that much time if one did the rebuild to express these values. Replacing a broken ring or two exhauset valves is not rebuilding imho. thats repairing. But to some it may be rebuilding. Leroy

Leroy, You're right! "Rebuild" is a very subjective term. How about: Restore Repair Remanufacture Refurbish Recondition Reconstruct Caveat Emptor..................

Kris, your last and highlighted "rebuild" scenario HAS to be the biggest selling point in the used tractor market. Somehow a paint job equals rebuilt in the eyes of lots of buyers. Dick

To me a rebuild is : Bore the block for oversize piston New Piston & rings New Rod Turn the crank if needed Grind valves and seats if needed Rebuild carb new points All new gaskets and seals Basically redo anything out of tolerance JMO

Sam You forgot camshaft and a new oil pump if used. LOL This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Hi, In my perspective, a rebuild would include a bore job, new piston, rings, rod, grind, [not lap] valves, check or replace main brgs, [in a K series Kohler] replace balance gear shaft and bearings, points, condensor, air filter, new valves if needed and guides if needed and new plug. We do not do ring jobs, unless the cylinder has LESS than 003 wear. Otherwise I feel it is money down the rat hole. With the new posi-torque rod bolts Kohler says once they have been torqued, they should not be ever be reinstalled. They do not recommend plastigage for this reason. This is our perspective on this subject. Good luck, Al