Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 final drive

john

i think i have a bearing going in one final drive on my 4040, am i in for a lot of work, or is it an fairly easy job, does any boday happen to have an exploded drawing showing the parts and assembly for replacing the bearing or bearings? thanks john.

Your into a medium or fairly difficult job. As far as a diagram, I'd go ahead and pick up a service manual from Simplicity. I bought one last year and it was just about $18.00. Covers all three Powermax tractors, 4040-4041-9020. Good luck.

John, I assume you are talking about the rear wheel housing unit. If so I just bought a 4041 and had to replace my right wheel housing bearings. I suggest you replace the outer and inner bearings with the bearing cup or race also. You can make a gasket for the housing. If you call Simplicity you can get the repair manual and it is good. I also suggest you buy a parts manual at the same time. I purchased all the manuals for the 4041 Pow'rMax and it was around $54.00 which included shipping. It will be the best money you spend. The bearings can be crossed to stock bearings on the shelf at a parts house. Remember to take the bearing with the race, there are usually two sizes of races with the bearings and you need the larger one. Good luck and let us know how you did. The KingFish