Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help assess value of 1984 Simplicty 5116 Special.

loosegroove

I have a 1984 Simplcity 5116 Special 16 HP twin cyclinder, with 36" mower and grass catcher. The thing is pristine as it has only been used two to three seasons when it was new and has since been sitting in storage. It ran perfect when it went into storage, and after 15 some odd years of being dormant I through in a new battery and fired her up. It starts at will and tuns, but needs some work of course....Any clue to how much its worth? And also, what type of work would need to be done. Thanks. Jeff

Just for some ideas... I bought a '79 6116 3 spd. w/ 48" deck. A little rough, and one large hole in the deck $250 I found my brother a 4212 5 spd manual, 36" deck, and 2 bagging assemblies in mint condition. I mean, literally a little old lady mowed the yard (no trees) with this thing. $550

A hydro would be worth more than a 5spd. The 36" is a drawback - the 42" and 48" were more popular for the 16HP. A new Regent single cylinder is $1850-2500 and $400 for catcher. Consider that and $1000 + sounds reasonable if everything is checked over. Old gas left in the system would be a concern.