Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Twin Briggs problem

KSever

At work we have a (choke choke- Bolens) twin briggs 18 that has been sitting for about 1 1/2 years. We got it running today but it seems to want to blow oil up the oil breather tubes back in the carb.It will run ok until it gets oil in the carb which is about 20 seconds. When I hold my thumbs over the 2 breather holes so it doesn't blow the oil back in the carb it runs pretty good but don't seem to want to accelerate all the way up. Any body have any ideas? Maybe stuck valves or stuck oil breather? Kris

Chronic case of blowby caused by bad compression and oil rings. It is building up excessive preasure in the crank case and blowing oil out the vent tube to the carb. By setting for some time the rings might have stuck. Try running some Automatic trans. fluid in the crank case. ATF is a good cleaner let it run for about an hour and change the oil. Pour some in to the cylinders first and let set over night crank over with plugs out to blow out excess before reinstalling plugs and starting.If it dosn't work a tear down is in order This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I had the same problem a few years ago, I thought maybe it was a breather, turns out that I had a broken ring. You may have a stuck ring though, especially if the tractors been sitting for a while. ddh

I completely agree with ucd, as odd as it seems i have seen many an old time mechanic run trans fluid in the crankcase of an old ford to clean out all the sludge and grime. Be sure to oil the cylinder well as he suggested, another good product that i swear by is Marvel Mystery oil. a little in the gas and some in the crancase does the trick to maintain good top end lubrication. john

Maynard, Should he drain all the oil out and then add the tranny fluid or add the tranny fluid o top of the regular oil

I would drain about half out and then fill with ATF This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Maynard, What do you estimate a rebuild for this engine would cost with new pistons, rings, and bored over? My old employer has this tractor and the rest of it is in good shape and he might not want to do all this work if letting the ATF run in there doesn't work. I may take on this project if he just wants to get rid of it. MAYBE Kris