Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro verse standard trans?????

Most everyone keeps talking like hydro trans are so much better then standard ones why so??? If they are so much the better why so much more problems or filters and other tuff to worry about?? I can shift and have just as much control with my 3 speed without all the worry of something going wrong with hydro trans. I can ride the clutch and still have viable control like hydro with the standard trans. Even with the hydro ya still use your arm for the lever and with the standard the same a lever and one foot for both to either stop or clutch. So someone please x-plain why the hydros are the way to go thanks-Jason

Jason, A hydro is basically the same as your auto trans. in your car.Either one is fine but for tasks such as snowblowing or tilling most folks prefer a hydro over a gearshift trans.Although many people use a gear shift for the same blowing,tilling jobs with no problems at all.As far as the reliability factor of hydros,we have 3 hydros here in tracs. from the late 60'S early 70'S and they are still running fine and have never ever been apart,and we've had shuttles and 3 spds. from the early 80's and have had to take them apart for repairs.The reliability of a trans. is MAINLY on WHO the operator is, not by it's design. dlc

Imagine always being in the right gear. That's what you'll have with a Hydrostatic. I think people like it better because it's more productive. To be able to change direction with such ease, it adds to faster mowing, especially around yard obstacles. I've had both and would never want to go back.