Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just pass me another iron for the fire....

SmilinSam

Lost the Homelite yesterday. Just found out My dads Gearboxed has been shelled out too..........................Got the flywheel off my CCKB and took the stator off only to find that the three little machine screws that hold it on had worked loose causing the stator to shift and broke all three castings off the timing gear cover that center the stator. Only good news I can find is that the magnets on the flywheel still look to be intact. Soooooooo............How much do you all think I will have to pay for a used gear cover and three screws for the stator?????? if I can find one ouch ouch ouch!

Sam, Sorry, no more "irons for your fire" right now. Things only happen in 3's, you've got your limit. Leave some problems for other members.

Sam ive had the same run of luck.....my "replacement" briggs was not as close as a match as i hoped, had to switch flywheels, stator, startor, tapped holes for he mounts, had to switch breathers to accomodate fuel pump...had to customize frame to get in in right,,,,,.then, got it running, broke it in....put pto clutch back on and left for work, told my son, mow all you can. When i got home in the morning he said dad smoke was coming from under the mower...fried the clutch!!!! all the while i need a bearing in the back of my car, wife needs a radiator fan, and im trying to build a pole barn. To top things off, we had torrential rains last night, our road washed out along with my 600 dollar driveway....wa, wa, wa....i know i sound like a big baby. did i mention i knicked the underground phone line with my shovel??? Herbs right, these things go in streaks its just a matter of when will the streak end? doug

Sam, You partially lucked out. When I bought my 4041 (now my tractor loader backhoe), it had the same problem only worse. The magnet ring in the flywheel was torn up. The engine had just been rebuilt but the owners didn't want to pay the price for the new flywheel ($790) so they sold the tractor to me for $400. I traded the deck for a parts motor. Moral of the story is you got away with not having to replace the flywheel. That's lucky! I had a replacement cover and stator, but let it go when I sold the parts motor. Sorry about that. My simplicity dealer quoted me $180 for the new stator and around $150 for the cover. I wouldn't trust those slotted or phillips head stator mounting screws. I think I used socket head cap screws and some Locktite to reinstall the stator. Paul