Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
StinKy

Junk & Gems

StinKy
The front axle in my AC-314 was getting too sloppy on it's center pin so I removed it and took a look at it yesterday. It was so worn only some serious machining would save it. Then the "light bulb" came on! Last summer I bought a complete AC 312 (ratty looking with blown engine) for a parts tractor. I lifted the front end of the parts tractor to see how sloppy it's axle was. Only motion I could get out of it was what it was supposed to do. No lateral or anything else! THEN I saw the zerk fitting on the bottom face of it. I took it out of the tractor and found a top notch machining job. The bolster in the axle had been bored out and two hardened steel bushings inserted in it with a space between them for GREASE!! Also a sleeve bushing full length of the bolster with a brand new 3/4" bolt. Somebody went to great lengths to save the front axle on that old tractor and Boy, did I luck out!!! Dick

StinKy
Aint that the truth, Marty!! The reason I posted my "find" was mainly the incredible luck involved. For ME to have that kind of luck again would be like waiting for Halley's Comet to re-appear!! LOL. Dick