Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jrichason

You deserve som brakes today....

jrichason
Hi everybody, I recently purchased a Simplicity 7116 from an older gentleman as a side deal when I bought his house. I wasn't going to buy it because he was asking $2000 for it. But, I decided since it came with a mower, snow blower, tiller, vacuum, trailer, blade, and a two month old engine to give it a shot. Also, the guy I bought it from seemed to genuinely love the machine. Well, it has been kind of a rocky start to our relationship. The first time I went to use it, the wheel bearings on one of the front wheels were rusted up. Next came a couple of problems finding the correct belts for the mower deck. My most recent incident involves a scarey ride down a hill with a somewhat painful ending because the machine doesn't have any brakes. This leads to my question (hope you'll forgive the rambling). Are the parts to fix the brakes on this machine still available? Also, is this something which is inside of the transmission? It is a hydro model. Thank you for any insight you can share! John John S Richason

Dutch
Although it may need some maintenance, you have a very good machine. If you don't have them , the first thing you should do is get manuals. All belts and most parts are available, and it's important to use the correct ones. The brake is a simple band on the right rear on the tractor. It may just need adjustment as per the manual.

jrichason
Hi Dutch, Thank you for your response. I'll take a look and see if I can adjust it. I hope you are right about it being a good machine. If nothing else, it does a very nice job of cutting the grass! Thanks again, John

roma3112
Despite your bad first experiences, trust me you have somthing worth holding on to> I inherited the 3112h I have now and there hasn't been a month that goes by where i have not found somthing to tinker with on it. I have been collecting/restoring tractors for over 15 years and one thing that is somtimes more useful than tools somtimes is a good shop/owners manual. If you go to simplicitymfg.com they have many of the manuals available online, if they are not there you can call them during the week. I think you will find some very freindly people at the factory who would help you out in locating manuals. For sure some of these machines may have lost their shine, but one thing thay will never loose is their proven durability. With some TLC and a good head to toe checkup I think you will have yourself a fine machine that will outlast the competition for many years to come.