Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bill_g

CCKB REBUILD OR BUY NEW

bill_g
I HAVE AN ONAN ENGINE THAT NEEDS TO BE REBUILT. NOW THE QUESTION DO I REBUILD FOR AROUND 1800.00 TO 2000.00 THAT USE THE OLD STARTER WHICH I UNDERSTAND IS ALOT OF MONEY AND THEY ONLY GIVE A 30 DAY WARRANTY ON THE REBUILT ENGINE. OR DO I BUY A NEW HONDA OR B&S ENGINE WITH A 2 YEAR WARRANTY? FOR AROUND THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY. IF I GO WITH THE NEW ENGINE REPLACEMENT WHICH ONE IS BETTER AND HOW ARE THE KITS FROM SMALL ENGINE WAREHOUSE? ARE THEY COMPLEAT AND EASY TO PUT IN ? THE REST OF THE TRACTOR IS IN PRETTY GOOD CONDITION EXCEPT FOR THE REAR SEALS WHICH I AM TOLD IS COMMON. THANKS BILL

PatRarick
As far as choosing between a Briggs and a Honda, I would say the most important thing to look at is local dealer support. Honda is a poor choice in my area, as dealers are few and far between. As far as which is the better engine, I have had little experience with Honda. I have Briggs Vanguards, and have had no trouble in five years, other than self imposed. Oil still looks clean at each 50 hour oil change. Pat