Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10 HP Kohler won't rev up

acjohn

I just completely rebuilt the 10 HP Kohler on my 410. It starts, idles smooth but if I try to rev up quick, it dies. I can advance the throttle slowly and bring the RPM's up to about 2600, above that it dies, just like I shut off the key. Any ideas? Does it sound like fuel or ignition? Thanks for the help.

John, sounds to me like fuel. I would make sure the needle adjustments are correct and check for dirt in high speed jet...Art

Jeff, That is hooked up correctly. I am going to recheck point gap and completely clean carb ( as Art suggested). Up to to 2600 RPM, it runs like a top. I just finished the rebuild, .030 over and .030 off the head (for a little more POWER)!!!

Art, A little dirt in the main jet? Any fool who would go to the trouble of a complete engine overhaul and not clean the carb deserves a kick in the butt. Yes, that's me!!! The bottom of the float bowl had so much sediment its a wonder it would even run at all. Now 3600 RPMs is instantanious!! Thanks guys for your advice.

and here i was gunna blame it on the guvnr.those springs tend to get bent comming of and some times it's enough to kill the engine when it is revved. oh well maybe next time. Leroy