Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp briggs

Guest lacsoc1

Guest lacsoc1
does any one have any information on the electric on a 16 briggs? it has a spark but not enough to jump the gap on the spark plug. any i deas? if any one has any general info on the 16 hp wards i'd appreciate it my email is Lacsoc1@aol.com

You could ask a lawn mower shop. I think it would mean the coil gap is too wide or narrow. The coil and/or wire to plug is bad. If the unit has sat for a very long time rust can develop on the magnetic trigger and the coil surface. Using fine emery cloth those areas can be cleaned up and it may get better. Leroy

The first thing I would check is the air gap. I think it should be about .010 but Im not sure. Someone on this page has that info Im sure. Next check your coil for continuity even if it checks good when the coil is stone cold it may still be breaking down after it heats up(expantion and contraction of of a minor break in the coil itself). I just had a problem like that on my 6216 and the coil was indeed the culprit. I think the coil was about $38.00 and about ten minutes work and I was on my way.......Hope this helps ......Scot Mechanical things must not upset me.(repeat 100 times a day)

Does it have points? If so I would look for crud built up on them. could also be rust on the flywheel . Just wait, someone with more knowledge should be by shortly.

I had the same problem on a 3112h simplicity ,briggs single cyl. A mouse had a nest above the coil. When i pressure washed it she would not start. weak spark.

I doubt it's the armature(COIL) as most call it, sounds like the points and condenser are dirty,weak or out of adjustment. The gap should be .020 on the points and .030 on the plug and the air gap on the armature is between .010&.016 I believe. Good Luck