Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Electronic Ignition Module Cooling

Roy
Gang, I'm looking for a way to keep the electronic ignition module for my Briggs Model 19 cool so I can prevent failure due to overheating. I'm considering mounting the module on a finned transistor heat sink but would also like to investigate other methods. Anyone know what the solid state refrigerator chips are called, their heat removal capacity, where to find them, and what they cost? Are there other methods available? For example: The liquid cooling systems used in some computers. I prefer not to try to locate the module inside the blower housing since that requires engine removal. I would also like to avoid the external automotive coil ignition method. Thanks,

Roy

PatRarick
How about making a bracket to mount the module just above the driveshaft coupling, next to the flywheel screen to allow the incoming cooling air to be drawn over it? Pat

jlasater
The solid state heat transfer devices you refered to are called peltier junctions. They work okay, but require a fair amount of power, and don't work well if they are trying to reject heat into a hot area so I don't think they would help you much.

HubbardRA
Roy, Why not mount it on a heatsink behind the dash and cool it with a small 12V electric fan. It really shouldn't take an extremely high volume of air. Rod H.

Roy
Rod H, Not a lot of room behind a B-1 dash for a cooling fan. Herb, You amaze me with your wide range of information and sources. Jlasater, I knew that but due to "CRS" (can't remember s***) I could not fish up the name peltier junction. I will probably end up with a finned heat sink mounted in the engine fan intake air stream somehow. Butch, another club member, has a 7016 rigged like this. Thanks to all,

Roy