Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric tractors

Ford

From (and for more info): http://www.econogics.com/ev/evtools.htm General Electric Elec-Trak The Elec-Trak electric tractor was built by General Electric in Schenectady, New York in the 1960's and 1970's. It is no longer produced. Several models were produced, including: the E8M (8 hp); the E10M (10 hp); the E12 and E12M (12 hp); the E15 (14 hp); and the E20 (16 hp). The E8M was more a ride-on mower than a tractor. There was also an ER8-36 ride-on mower in the Elec-Trak line. The "M" suffix on some models indicated the ability to accommodate a mid-mounted (belly) mower. Available attachments included: mid-mounted (belly) mower; front-mounted rotary mower; front or rear-mounted ganged reel mowers; lawn sweeper; electric rake; manual or electric rear implement lifts (electric front lift is standard); snow-thrower; snow cab; snow/dozer blade; V-plow blade; roto-tiller; disk harrow; row crop cultivator; roller aerator; lawn roller; dump cart; vacuum; and, powered rotary broom. There were also hand-operated powered attachments available including a chainsaw, cultivator and hedge-trimmer. A rotary converter was also available to produce 115-volts AC to power other electric appliances. The I-5 was the industrial version of the Elec-Trak, also made by GE. It was orange instead of yellow, had fenders over the front wheels, and a more moulded set than the E## versions. Apart from these differences, they were virtually identical. There were also Wheel Horse and New Idea models produced following the Elec-Trak designs after GE got out of the business. Many of these machines are still in operation, and their owners tend to be enthusiastic about the capabilities, longevity and lack of maintenance required by these machines. Parts and Manuals There are still several sources of parts, manuals and service for Elec-Trak and related electric tractors. Technical Services and Parts 7898 Pineview Drive, Edgerton WI, 53534 - (608)868-6220. Ask for Bill Gunn. This company acquired the jigs, blueprints and inventory from Wheel Horse after GE passed these things onto Wheel Horse. Technical Services and Parts remanufactures tractors and parts, and can build most of the parts for the tractors as required. Kansas Wind Power 13569 214th Road, Dept ASFW Holton, Kansas 66436 - (913)364-4407 Kansas Wind Power has some parts and manuals for the Elec-Trak tractors, even though they are not mentioned on the company's web site. Elec-Trak is becoming a smaller part of their business with time as they focus on off-grid power systems. Doc's Lawn Equipment 12704 Lincoln Way, Massillion, OH. - (330)837-4672 / (330)833-6971 Doc's Lawn Equipment maintains a stock of some parts for Elec-Trak tractors.

Interesting, heres another electric...i saw these in a magazine at the doctors office. http://www.golfcoursetrades.com/productreviews/2001archive/sept2001/septreviews.htm Dougm below is link to kansas wind power as you mentioned Ford, great site to look around, thank you. http://www.kansaswindpower.net/

Also, Ford Ranger: Electric Ranger Ranger is offered as an Electric Vehicle (EV) to customers in California. The EV Ranger will feature carryover styling and be equipped with advanced nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries. The NiMH Ranger EV offers useful range, payload and longer battery life.

I know Sears marketed an electric tractor in the 70's .I'm thinking it was a rebadged GE. kenny L

I've noticed the GE's showing up on ebay every now and then. Ran on golf cart batteries I believe. Steve

i posted a message awhile back about a dealer near me who has a bunch of 1970s allis garden tractor and parts and still has in stock parts for allis/simplicity back to the early 60s. in his showroom he has a like new 110 john deere and...check this out an old restored wheelhorse electric tractor 1970s i think.by the way i a couple of good garden tractor books.Vintage Garden Tractors 1920 to 1959 and it covers probably 100 brands, by David Baas. simplejim

david baas wrote one of the books i mentioned and runs the www.gibson tractor club site. i dont know if these books are still availible. they very informative and worth getting your hands on simplejim

GE Elec-Trak Tractor Early General Electric Elec-Trak with 42" mower deck - Front Mount. Has rear PTO plug and switch. battery set $360 for the set (which $60 per battery). This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

My uncle bought one of the ge electric mowers brand new and loved it. He had whatever the most powerful one was and he had the front mower with the three motors and electric lift. He had a large lot and it took a charge between mowings to get it all done, but that was ok with him. The thing was very fast and had a kind of step up multiple speed feel that was interesting. My uncle won a neighborhood riding mower race with his. I know he had one of the mower motors fail once or twice, but other than that the unit was flawless. I marveled that it was really quiet even while mowing . I think my uncle just for fun mowed a couple times in the night with the lights on just to see how quiet it really was. I was fairly young , and have no idea how expensive the thing was at the time. It seemed like a neat idea, and I am a bit surprised that new ones are not all around us. I can fix that with duct tape **

Just curious, does anybody know what the engine voltage was? 36vdc? 6 x 6vdc batteries=36vdc. Steve

Steve, Yes it is 36 vdc. I had a E8M. It was a pretty cool machine! There is a Canadian Co. with an electric tractor but it's big bucks! John(ri)