Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
WISCONMAN

difference between CCKA AND CCKB

WISCONMAN
I just bought a 4040 and I was wondering what is the difference between the 16 and 20 HP Onan Engines. They share the same bore and stroke-What was done to coax an extra 4 HP out of the original? Can a 16 be upgraded to a 20? Thanks!

JP
The base engine is the same. From what I have noticed; Downdraft to sidedraft carbs, Charging system; 15 to 20 amp. (flywheel is MUCH heavier on the B, and different stator). I think there may be a difference in the starter too. JP

MPH
Been told by an Onan mech the CCKB has bigger valves and a different cam then the CCKA. Don;t have one of each to tear down and check so I anin;t sayin for sure. The carb and intake is easy to see..just my 2cents worth of knowledge..MPH

JP
Curiosity got the best of me..... According to my parts books, Cams, valves are the same. The other thing I forgot earlier is they figured out you need seals on the valve guides. They were half right, there are seals only on the intake valves. Go figure....... Other than that, if your charging system is working ok, get the manifold & sidedraft carb, adapt the linkage & you're there. The only yhing that has bothered me is the flywheel weight. The B flywheel is at least 2 maybe 3 times heavier. Must be a torque thing.(?) Jim