Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

718 Hydro

Does any one know anything about an AC 718 Hydro? Billy Fullen

Kent
What kind of info are you looking for? Here's a link to the sales brochure for it: http://www.simpletractors.com/models/700_series/718-h.htm The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Karl_Brandt
Hello I have one of these tractors. My tractor last year blew the head gasket and I have nit got around to fixing it yet.My engine had new valve bushings 2 years ago,the bushings seem to come loose after many hours.

MikeES
The tractor is the same as any 700/7000 series hydro. The engine is rare. It is a overhead valve, cast iron engine (K361), same size as the flat head 16hp K341 Kohler (uses many of the same parts). I have one in my pulling tractor, it is very powerful and loud. But did not make a good work engine. They are prone to valve problem, valve seats drop out of head. I think it is because with the valve train in the head, there was limited cooling on this engine. Get it plugged with grass and dirt .... overheating.. causing the valve issues. Parts for the valve train are hard to come by. If the engine is kept clean, I think it can be a good working engine. Overheating from dirt is a similar problem with the newer V-twin OHV engines also. Good Luck! Mike S.

BillC
The Kohler 18HP single cylinder overhead valve engine is noted for valve seats falling out, valves guide problems and warping of the cylinder head, all due to cooling problems. Been there, done that. I replaced the 18HP with a Kohler 16HP single cylinder which is a very good engine, but is no longer available.