Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
slb04786

AC 712 headlamps

slb04786
Does anyone know if the bulbs for the 712S headlights are still available and where. This is the ones mounted on the outside of the hood. There are two bulbs on each side. How much are they? Can they be found at auto parts store or just throught Simplicity/AC dealers? Thanks guys. Stan

johnmonkey
Before we switched to the new site there was a person that said he found a newer type bulb that is cheaper than the original but you would need to replace the sockets on the tractor. From what I remember you can still get the replacement bulbs at around $20.00 per bulb (I could be wrong with the price because it's been a while). I replaced the hood on my 1978 710 six speed (new style hood) and replaced it with an older style 716H hood with the type of lights you are referring to, so I'm very much interested in finding out some information also. John H

tmerideth
Stan/John H: I was the one that posted on the trial clubhouse board. I have an early AC710 with the 4 small lamps. All of mine still work for now. A friend of mine told me that he had tried to order lamps and the price he was quoted was almost $40 each. I happen to be employed in the lighting industry so I started researching these lamps. What I found is that the double contact bayonet base lamp is no longer being made in this size. I got a couple of samples of a larger size, but they would not fit in the opening. I am working on an adapter kit for these tractors. I have lamps and lamp bases. I still have to develop a holding bracket. I have been diverted for the past few weeks, but hope to finalize this adapter kit shortly. The lamps that I am adapting are available from most electrical supply houses, including WW Grainger, cost around $7-$10 each. If anyone needs more specific information, e-mail me directly and I will try to help with lamp information.

CarlH
Don You can refurbish the contacts on the base of the bulbs by putting a blob of solder (hot of course) on them. I have resurrected several this way for my 716H. Carl

mthss
If the lamp is a "sealed beam" it should have the manufacturer and mod/type number stamped on the back© I had the same problem with my sovereign ¥with the headlights on the outside¤© Found the stamped light number, went to my local NAPA dealer and found that the beams where also used as auto "fog" lights© Had them order two of them© When they came in the next day, found that the lamps where by the same manufactuer ¥wagner/federal-mogal¤ -- an exact match, and cost $10 a piece© Hope this helps©