Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
john

Attachment ?(s)

Fred
Tim, to the best of my knowledge, only 'SunSpot' implements will directly fit in front or below. Some, like decks, from the (SunStar replacement) Legacy will also fit with little or no change. As you have a SunStar deck, that's not an issue; NOTHING different will cut better anyway. The 'Star was the top of the line from mid-'80s through late-'90s. (The Legacy has only been out a couple of years.) Basically nothing except sleeve-hitch or three-point (yes: Category "0") implements will fit from earlier/different models or brands. While the implement end of a three-point is standardized, the tractor end is not. You might be best off just buying the kit from Simplicity. Sim did not make either a belly blade or a sickle for this series. Something aftermarket might be available in a sickle, I don't know. You should also be able to find a three-point flail mower aftermarket. There are rear PTO kits available in engine-speed (3400-3600) and 2000 RPM, depending on implement needs. The reduction gear box for the 2000 is a Peerless (Tecumseh) part, and both PTOs must fit the Peerless 2600 series transaxles. Here again, anything but OEM is very difficult to do. All of this stuff is shown in that TP-1103-03 Attachments and Accessories Parts Manual that I mentioned in my e-mail. As you have the 16-horse single, without the dual-range, differential lock, split braking and power steering, heavy ground-engagement use is not a wonderful idea; and a loader is a bad idea. If you really want to go that way, maybe fix up this one, turn a profit on it, and look for a used 'loaded' 20-horse. The best would be the '90s ones with the Kohler Command V-twin, but not the 'last' ones without the dual-range. A loader on any SunStar is still very hard on the front axle, and power steering is a must-have. Sorry to be a wet blanket; opinions are like you-know-what, everybody has one.
Fred

john
Hello again, all.

Many thanks (even to the guys who suggested a new paint job) for all the help and kind advice on my prior ????. Heck, y'all were so nice, I figured I'd come back for more. As PT Barnum is rumored to have said, "No good deed ever goes unpunished."

Well, here goes. Tractor: aforementioned Deutz "Sunstar" 16 hp hydro.

First round of general ????: Must attachments be SPECIFICALLY for a Sunstar? If so, WHY? If NOT, what other series' attachments can be directly utilized on the Sunstar platform? Or what can be modified to fit? (Bear in mind that I do have welding and machining facilities available, and am quite proficient at "making it work")

Second set of inquiries: Could/would anyone share with me some lineage on Simplicity/AC lawn/garden tractor models? (Or point me to the link/previous message that would shed some light on this for me?) The concept of "tractors" as a "hobby" is somewhat new to me, and I clearly have much to learn about the Simplicity lineup. Basically, I am at the point where I realize how little I know. And I do not fear seeming a total idiot, for in many ways I still am.

The attachments I intend to eventually buy or build are as follows, along with my assumptions: (And yes, I DO know what the word "assume" means ;-) )

First, a 3 pt hitch. (category 0, I assume? I also assume wheel weights would be VERY useful if I plan to do much more than "scratch dirt"?)

Then, a plow and disc harrow. (Does NOT have to be "Simplicity" brand, right?

Front and rear scrape blades. (a belly mounted one would be nice, too. Any hints?)

I've noted that there are sickle bar mowers in the classifieds. If I can get one to fit (make one fit) this machine, Miss Anna will be SOOOOOO happy to see me mow down "Snake Forest" (her backyard)(LOTS of small saplings and big weeds)

I've been told that a rear tiller requires an "attachment lift kit" in addition to the rear PTO, and that the 3 pt. hitch must be removed to install the rear PTO. Is this the case? Why? Do any other attachments also require this "lift kit"? If so, which ones?

A rear PTO kit is definately a must, as I have a 10KW generator, a 4" trash pump and a 15GPM hydraulic pump (all gathering dust) that I'd like to turn into "tractor implements". Any thoughts? Tips? Been there, done that stories?

A Loader attachment would be VERY cool, as I have a "Trencherman" (portable stand-alone backhoe) that I'm considering building quick connect brackets to attach it to the rear of this machine. (ONLY for light stuff like small ditches and holes)

By now, I'm sure you all can tell I've been bitten BAD by the "Tractor Bug". In a way, I'm kinda glad (well, not really) that old "Floyd" threw a rod. Otherwise, I'd have never bought this Deutz-Allis, and would likely have never found this great site, or met you fine people. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

Well, thanks again for taking the time to read this missive, and thanks in advance for ANY advice you have time to share.