Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
alleyyooper

Mower blades dull 20 question, question.

alleyyooper
Just got home from vaction last evening. The grass in the yard had growen a lot and needed mowing. I had to sharpen the blades this morning first since I'd left them dull. 1. How do you get at your mower blades to remove them for sharping? My answer, I use a come a long to raise the front of the tractor so I can reach under the deck and remove the blades and grease the spindles. 2. How do you sharpen them, / or do you farm the job out? My answer, I use a file if not to bad, but since my yard isn't a golf course I tend to hit things once in a while resulting in bad dings No gouges in which case I use a home made jig on the grinder. 3. If ya don't hit any thing how offten do you sharpen them? My answer, about every 3d mowing. I mow about 2 1/2 acres. 4. How offten do you grease the spindles / how much grease? My answer, I grease every 3d mowing and pump in 20 pumps or until grease starts to pop out out at the top of the spindles/ thats where it always pops out. Guess it was only 4 questions, Thanks for the answers you give. I'd just like to know for some odd reason. Al

Brent_Baumer
You sharpen and grease alot more often than I. Sharpen and grease at the start of mowing season and about halfway through. I mow about 4.5 acres with the tractor 48" deck pulling a 60" trail mower. Brent

johnmonkey
1) I drive the tractor up a ramp and crawl under to remove blades or grease. 2) I use a grinder once a year (maybe twice a year if I hit a rock or two) 3) I grease 1-2 times a year I pump 20-30 pumps wiyh a small grease gun. John H

UCD
I use a bench grinder and balance them on a nail.But the last time i sharpened the blades and greased my deck was 25 yreas ago haven't used it since. The mower deck has never been on this tractor. I moved and the lawn wasn't large enough to turn the tractor around on.I moved again last year My new lawn is bigger but i have a guy do it. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

williamjordan
I cut about 20 lawns each week. Some are not that big but some very big. The blades need to be sharpend every week and the deck cleaned out and greased up. I don't bother using a file, I just get the hand grinder out. Up to last year I was running an Allis 912H and 716H but then I made the swich over to a Kubota G4200 Diesel. I love the Allis cut but man you can't beat the twin cylinder diesel!!! William Jordan

MikeES
I pull the deck out (it takes less than a minute). I sharpen at the beginning of the year and half way through with a bench grinder. I keep a step angle on the blades vs. a flat angle they hold up much better to sticks and stones. I grease the spindles with 2 pumps every spring and when I sharpen the blades in mid season. I mow about 3-1/2 acres, but I use two tractors. Good Luck! Mike S.

BigSix
What about balancing? Not too many mentions of this. I have one of those $3.00 balancers that look like a miniature version of the hats worn by the 80's rock group "Devo," (i.e., a flower pot with many ridges on the sides) that sits on a spike. But it's not a precision device and is made out of pot metal. I was thinking I'd do something better, but then I realized that these little blades are much smaller than a conventional 21" walkbehind mower blade--is balance that much less critical on these blades that most folks don't bother? I would have thought anything less than a professional balancing (whatever that is) would cause premature bearing failure.... Peter

alleyyooper
I though the balance thing was automatiac. I use the spike method my self. My deck is a 48" and is 10+ years old with original spindles. it is all I mow with except under the trees, and around tractor row. Once I get my 74 New Holland deck restored, that is the lawn mower tractor of my choice. Al