Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
charby5

scratchin my head...7016

charby5
I recently bought a 7016 that had a front axle problem that i found when i got it home. Not where the bolt goes in, but behind that, where the small stub shaft goes through. On my other tractors theres a bolt on bushing block thats held in place by two bolts,,but on this machine theres not even holes for the bolts for one ..Theres just a 3/4 inch hole and the stub shaft is about 5/8..needless to say its pretty sloppy..I never really measured the hole or the stub so the measurements are a guesstimation. the metal that is there is thicker than my other tractors so its got me wondering.. Is there some kinda bushing that goes in there ? and is this typical for the 7000 series in 74 / 75 ? Charby......

Al
Hi, This is pretty common. I have taken a torch and "blew" off the pad. Then I take a piece of bar stock correct width about 3/4" thick and drill a 3/4" hole in it and saw it off, Put it over the stub on the wishbone and weld her in. Back to like new. Sometimes the stub is broken off and you need to weld a piece of 3/4" rod on it. Taking this slack out really makes them steer better. Good luck, Al Eden

SmilinSam
I usually fill the grooves in the stub shaft with weld and grind it up smooth and get one of those bolt on bushhings off my used parts shelf, center the hole in the ovaled opening, drill the two holes for the bolts and install. I have seen where others have done like Al and that works good too. Also have seen where others took and drilled the hole out oversized and pressed in a bushing. Sam

thedaddycat
I have the same thing on my 3310, slop but not a groove on the stub. I was thinking of trying different pipe stubs to tighten it up, using the tightest one I can find in the scrap pile. I oversized the axle pivot bolt and beefed it up a lot, too.

charby5
Thanks AL,Sam and Daddycat Your help has really been useful..I wasnt sure if this was common or if I was the only one that had this type of system (no flange bushing). I have never seen this before, so I didnt know if it was factory or someone had fixed it before I ended up with it ...well any ways ..thanks again, and once more the Simple Tractors page and their members help have saved another machine from the great tractor boneyard.......... Charby...