Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Part Q for '55 Landlord

JB

Hi All,

I have a love/hate relationship with my 1955 Simplicity Landlord (model 990314)that I have recently inherited (2 years ago). I love it, but I hate the fact that the manual went missing about 40 years ago and I can't readily get part numbers. I need a new arbor spindle and since the mower deck is much newer than the tractor, any ID decals on the tractor are of no help and I can't seem to find any on the deck. It's a 42" deck. Any suggestions?

The arbor should have replaceable ball bearings of the common variety. For the sake of starting somewhere do the arbors have grease zerks and do the pullies fit on the shafts with a key or spline. It will get you into an area of the age of the deck. My '77 Landlord has keyed shafts and greasable arbors. Sometime later they eliminated zerks and went to splined shafts. Unless the arbor housing is completely rotted out, it should be rebuildable.

If you can send me some GOOD pics I'll see what I can do about identifying it for you. E-mail above or snail mail to JJ Nemes & Sons, Inc. - 1233 Rt 206 - Princeton, NJ 08540 - Attention Jeff

I think the 990314 Landlord was sold in 63-64 with the first one being a 62. If you take the whole spindle assemble to your Simplicity dealer he should be able to put the correct bearings in it. If you rebuild it yourself be very sure you do not lock the bearings up with the large dust cover washer. The large washer must not contact the outer and inter bearing races. The old manuals show the order of these washers incorrectly. If tightening down on the pulley nut causes any drag on the shaft then it is assembled incorrectly. Tim