Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
richp

5116 special trans

richp
A buddy of mine has a simp. 5116 special that offered me for free but has no transmisson. Are these trans hard to come by and how cheap can i get one for? I don't know much about the lawn tractors,are these any good? Regards ,Rich.

mowerman1193
What type of trans. was in it (hydro or gear)?My uncle has a 5116 with the 5speed gear trans.They used that gear trans in alot of other mowers as well as other brand tractors.I have a Simplicity 4211 with the same trans as my uncles.They are a 800 series Tecumseh/Peerless transmission.They in my opinion are not very heavy built for hard work but,great for mowing.I have seen the 800 series go for $75 all the way to $175 on ebay.Mine has a bad shift key in it and I thought about replacing the transmission with a brand new one until I found out it was $495 (if I remember right).I know it was'nt cheap. mowerman1193

richp
I did the unthinkable today, I bought a murray tractor for parts. The trans is an inline 5 speed and it has a great running 12 hp b&s and it even has a good battery all for $60 bucks. I had to take it for a ride, what a roach. The blade deck is literally falling apart. It ain't no 3112h,that's for sure. (anyone want to buy a motor?)