Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
willyt

Fuel Fuel everywhere

willyt
Have a problem with my 914S, Keeps flooding out (gas running out of intake). I have replaced the float and needle thinking the carb just needed some help but it still does it. I noticed that fuel runs to the carb even when the engine (Kohler K321s) is stopped. I'm not sure but it seems like the fuel is leaking past the Fuel Pump. Is this normal? Has anyone had a similar problem. I re-checked the clearances on the float but that did not seem to help. I am wondering if the head pressure from the fuel tank is enough to cause the needle to not seat even though the float is in the up position.

arjr111
Willy, doubt that tank pressure alone would cause the needle not to seat, if so it would be a much more common occurance. Although, there may be some other reason the needle is not seating. Dirt or other crud, keeping the needle from seating. The float itself may be bad and need replacing. .....Good luck Art

willyt
Thanks Art, I replaced the float at the same time I put a rebuild kit into the carb. I am going to take it apart and check for trash in the seat. Any Ideas on the Fuel Pump. Is it supposed to leak past like that with the engine stopped. It is still pumping fuel when I use the manual pump lever put if I disconnect the line to the carb is constantly drips fuel until the tank is dry? Will

Dutch
The fuel tank is vented (supposed to be anyway). If the tank has any pressure, something is wrong. A leak past the pump shouldn't matter, the float needle should stop it same as the gravity feed systems.

willyt
Thanks all for advice. Problem just does'nt want to go away. I've replaced the needle valve, float, valve seat, and air filter. This just happened as I was cutting the lawn and it has me stumped. The engine surges like the idle screw is not adjusted right. I cannot check the Main Fuel needle because I can't get it to run long enough. The bowl fills and then leaks out of the carb. Once I do get the engine started ( I have to use a full choke even when warm) I will not run at more than about 1/2 throttle, anymore and it dies out. As I said this just happened all of a sudden. I don't think governor has shifted position as it is still tight and all the springs are good and connected where they were. I did notice that when I do get it running and it starts to die I can cut back on the throttle and pull the choke out all the way and sometimes I can catch the engine before it dies. (like it was running to lean) but I am not getting any smoke out of the engine and I getting Fuel out of the carb throat. Any additional ideas would be helpful. Maybe the Idle and Main fuel jets are shot. I don't know. Will

willyt
Eureka!!!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!! Found the problem. Took the Fuel Pump off and the Carb. Chunk of stuff on the inlet side of the Needle valve seat. If was Cork!!!. Took Fuel Pump apart and discovered that it has a two part diaphram - Oil side is rubber. Fuel side is >>> you guessed it CORK!!. It was deteriorated and flaking off. Doing the same thing as the old Ping Pong ball in the gas tank trick. Fuel would flow and fill the bowl and then once the engine started it would clog the seat and the engine would run until the bowl was dry. Then it would prevent the needle from reseating and fill the bowl to overflowing. This Fuel pump is the Plastic replacement for the metal unit which was originally installed on the engine (previous owner installed) Jack's has the metal replacement (Don't know if the diaphram is the same or not but I'm kinda leary of a plastic fuel pump) Anyway, cleaned all of the loose stuff out and reinstalled the pump. Runs great. Going to get a new pump anyway (afraid rubber will wear out and then allow gas to get into my oil) Thanks all and I hope this helps someone else. P.S. They don't make a rebuilt kit for the pump?? Will