Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mounting a single tooth ripper .....

Spyder

I have acquired a large single tooth ripper. This is the extremely heavy duty one that would normally be mounted on a large cat type tractor. I am working for ideas to mount it on my Allis B-110. The ripper steel leg is about 1 inch thick and 20 inches long with a 1.5 inch wide ripper on the end. I want to use it to soften the hard red clay on my property. Could even dig ditches etc. So far it looks like I'll weld a 1 inch round rod to the front edge and fasten short plates from the ends of the rod to the mounting points on the rear hitch. Then some arrangement to attach the top of the ripper to the lift arm. I want to be able to lower it 10-12 inches into the soil. Any further ideas would be appreciated and welcome. Anyone come across a similar mounting problem?? This may be unique, I don't know. Haven't seen anything like it here on SimpleTrACtors. DaveG
  • Like 1

I'd mount and lift it "Brinly" style (same as the Simplicity plow). Don't know if any GT will have the a$$ to cut 10"-12" in a single pass through "hard red clay".

Dutch, I thought about the sleeve style "Brinly" hitch. The catch is that the ripper leg must remain relatively vertlcal. This is because if it rotates too much as it is lowered deeply, it would tend to "heel over". Than means that the heel of the cutter would be lower than the front edge, thus it could not cut any deeper. I looked at the ones mounted on large dozers, and they have a double arm lift so that the ripper remains vertical and does not rotate relative to mother earth. I think I'll get into my CAD software and model the movement using a double arm lift. This is an interesting geometric problem. Yeah, I doubt it'll cut more than 3-4 inches on a single pass. And I really need wheel weights too. DaveG

The "double arm lift" you describe sounds similar to a 3 point hitch. Notice that the Simplicity plow with a the one point hitch has an adjustment screw to maintain angle regardless of the depth of cut. This prevents the heel being lower than the cutting edge. That system works fine for me when I plow, trench, or rip.
  • Like 1