Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
NLM

7117h runs rough-sometimes

NLM
My 7117h with KT 17 ll runs rough, sputtering and backfiring and requiring varying choke to keep running at all. It will even stalls under load; when mowing or accelerating. Other days it will run perfectly for hours. I've tried all the carb adjustments with no success. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

mthss
Ques: 1¤ What type of weather is there ¥ie sunny/hot, cool/overcast, etc¤ when the engine is rough running, sputtering and backfiring? 2¤ Is the terain being cut the same when is runs fine and runs rough? Besides all the technical stuff relating to the carb which it sounds like you have already done, here is a few things "outside the box" you might check/do: 1¤ Check the gas cap/vent to make sure it is clear© 2¤ Check the gas filter,lines,tank to make sure nothing is "floating" around waiting to "gum up" the works© 3¤ Check that there is no "water" ¥condensation¤ in the carb or fuel system© I usually add a bit of gas treatment/dry gas to the gas can© Add just enough to match the amount of gas in the gas can because a whole bottle will treat about 20 gals© 4¤ Check the seat cut-off switch if your yard/lawn is very ¥very¤ bumpy or hilly© When I first got my tractor and tried it on my "new" lawn, it would sputter and backfire© Found it was the seat cut-off switch© If I hit a bump or went over a small hill, my behind would come off the seat, the seat pop up, and the cut-off switch would briefly cut the engine causing it to sputter© If the seat popped up long enough, the engine would cut and cause the unburned gas/mix to blow into the hot muffler causing a backfire© Solution was to adjust the cut-off switch© Hope this may help©

JonetteP
Hi , it might be your condenser breaking down, or dirty points. I would pull the cover and check them. Also, if the condenser is bad, use a newer style one that uses a tag wire. Relocate it to the coil mount. This eliminates heat from the condenser and prolongs the life.

hufhouse
I was having a problem with my 7117H cutting out on me (not really sputtering and backfiring, just quitting). There was only ONE seat spring. The other was missing. When I got the second seat spring, the problem stopped. The seat switch was not "making" correctly with only one seat spring! Evidently, you need both springs to make good "bun" contact!