Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting problem

cmheiden

I have a Simplicity Landlord 210. It has a 10 HP Briggs and Stratton with electric start. I have good compression and the spark plug is sparking. However, the engine won't start. All suggestions will be appreciated. Chris Heiden, cmheiden@hotmail.com

An engine has to have three things to run, Air, Spark and fuel. Good compression helps. Have you checked if it is getting fuel? Just because you have gas at the carburator dosn't mean it is getting to the cylinder. Spray some gas in to the throat of the carb and try to start it. You can run an engine with out a carb by spraying gas into the intake manifold with a spray bottle. But watch out if it back fires you will have one hot hand. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

You may need to check the governor settings and the flywheel key for looseness or partial sheering. Either situation will prevent the engine from going varrrrrooooooommmmm. What flavor of engine are we talking about?? There is quite a lot of information on the SimpletrACtors site to help you set up a B&S. Hope this helps. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/b_%26_s_243431.htm[/url] DaveG

Need a little more information. Has the tractor been running, or in storage? Fresh gas? When the plug is removed after attempting to start, is it wet or dry? Does fuel drip out of the carb when attempting to start? Still have the point type ignition system, or has it been converted to electronic ignition? If converted, is it the Briggs Magnetron, or another brand? Do not assume that you have proper ignition simply because there is spark at the plug. Spark plugs can spark when removed from the engine, but may not spark under compression. There are so many variables to consider when an engine doesn't start. The more information you can give, the better. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick: Need a little more information. Has the tractor been running, or in storage? Fresh gas? When the plug is removed after attempting to start, is it wet or dry? Does fuel drip out of the carb when attempting to start? Still have the point type ignition system, or has it been converted to electronic ignition? If converted, is it the Briggs Magnetron, or another brand? Do not assume that you have proper ignition simply because there is spark at the plug. Spark plugs can spark when removed from the engine, but may not spark under compression. There are so many variables to consider when an engine doesn't start. The more information you can give, the better. Pat
I had bought the tractor last winter. It has not been running in my possession. I am not sure the last time it was running. I have put in fresh gas. The spark plug is dry. Fuel does drip slowly out of the carb when attempting to start. I am not sure if it is the point or converted electronic system for starting. I am thinking of ordering the carb rebuild kit for it but first I am probably going to check the fuel tank, fuel line, carburetor adjustments and air cleaner.

Chris, the first thing I would do is, as UCD suggests, spray some gas into the carb. throat, or take the plug out and spray a little into the cylinder, replace plug. If it starts you know you have a fuel problem.......Art

I think the first thing I would try is spraying a little starting fluid on the air clearner. If the engine tries to run then you know it is a fuel delivery problem. John S Richason

Would first do as Maynard suggested, and see if it fires. If so, you have a fuel problem. If not, you have an ignition problem. Let us know the results and go from there. Pat