Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JOHNP

HYDRO QUESTION

JOHNP
GENTLEMEN, HAVE A 7116H AND I REALIZE THAT A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF "WHINE" SHOULD BE PRESENT WHEN UNDER A LOAD BUT........... I RECENTLY CHANGED THE FLUID AND THE FILTER ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL. NOW, THE WHINE IS MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED AND IT JERKS WHEN PUTTING IT INTO FORWARD OR REVERSE. SO I WANTED TO CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL (THINKING IT MIGHT BE LOW) AS I HELD THE VENT OPEN AND REMOVED THE FILL CAP, THE OIL SHOT OUT, AS IF UNDER PRESSURE. DID I MISS A TRICK ?? COULD THERE BE AIR IN THE SYSTEM ?? IF SO, HOW DO YOU PURGE IT OF THE AIR ?? WHEN ADDING NEW FLUID, IT HELD THE THREE + QTS. OF TYPE F ATF WITH NO PROBLEM. ANY IDEAS ?? JOHNP

Ford
John I assume you didn't try to check the hydro level while the engine was running ??? I assume you used the correct type of oil. Engine must not be running. Hold vent open (or better yet, carefully unscrew and remove it.) Take off fill cap and check oil level. The filler pipe is at an "up" angle in reference to the ground. Oil should be up to the top of the fill pipe. Hope this helps, Ford

JP
Did you drain & fill like this? "When changing hydro fluid, I've always pulled the sparkplugs, raised the rear tires off the ground and after I put fresh fluid in, cranked it over (while in gear and circumventing the safety switches) until the rear wheels turn. The reason is not to seize the pump. the old manuals used to have you do this, not sure if the new ones do or not " ??? JP

JOHNP
FORD, DID EVERYTHING AS YOU DESCRIBED. LET THE OIL GET GOOD AND HOT (NEW OIL) SHUT IT DOWN, LET IT SIT A COUPLE OF MIN. THEN CHECKED IT. UNSCREWED THE FILLER CAP AND, SPLUUUUIT, OUT FLEW ABOUT A PINT OF OIL BEFORE I COULD GET THE CAP BACK ON. JP, I DIDN'T, BUT AFTER WORK TONIGHT, I WILL. THANX JOHNP