Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vacuum Collector Question

jrichason

Hi Everybody, I have a 7116H that I bought in March with which I running with a vacuum collector. When I was taking the tire chains off this spring, I noticed that the paint was wore off the bottom of the transmission filter. Now that I have put the vacuum on, I can see that the belt is very close to the filter and is probably slapping the filter. I looked up the belt numbers and think that the belt is correct. Has anybody else seen this situation? I am thinking of trying a little bigger belt since that would make the tension pully be lower and give the belt more clearance. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? Thank you for any insight! John John S Richason

Do you have the Rear P.T.O. Drive Kit Part# 1685225. It is an idler pully that mounts to the frame just over the filter. it prevents the belt from rubbing on the tranny filter. It is available from your Simplicity Dealer. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

If the paint is worn off the bottom of the filter, the belt is routed wrong. With the belt mounted correctly, you won't need any extra kits.

Thanks a bunch for the information you guys! I'll have to do some more experimenting to see what I can come up with. The person I bought the tractor from, said that the tension pully goes above the belt and the spring is supposed to pull it down. I do have the manual for the blower, but it is pretty hard to understand. I might also have the kit for all I know. He left me a shed full of tractor stuff and I haven't figured out what most if it is for :-). Thanks again for your help. I am starting to enjoy tinkering with this thing! Best Regards, John John S Richason

Yea I was woundering how much one of those vaccume attachments would cost. I was thinking of putting one on my 7116H but i also dont know where to find a used one. Also would i be better off buying a used one or a new one.

Good Morning Mr. Hick :-). I don't know anything about how much a new or used one would cost but I do know that they work better than I thought they would. I was pretty skeptical and mowed without it the first few mowings this year. A couple of weeks ago my lawn really needed mowing but the grass wouldn't dry out from all the rain we had been getting so I decided to give the vacuum a try. It worked very well even though the grass was wet. I would definetly recommend getting one. Later, John John S Richason

John, Just wait till the fall. That vac will make short work out of leaves. Get a roving nozzle and make those piles against fences, and in corners and flower beds disappear.

I have a 7117 with a vacuum, and the idler pully rides BELOW the belt. I have to admit, though, that the belt still takes the paint off the oil filter on the top, but it really doesn't ride on it or anything. The belt rides ABOVE the oil filter, not below. I may have to look into that kit, if it doesn't cost much.

Hi everyone, I believe that the idler kit is more important if you are running a tiller, or any other kind of belt driven rear attachment that will be raised and lowered. It keeps the belt from rubbing on the filter, when the angle of the belt changes. Also, I just purchased a new vacuum collector, complete with a 17 bushel cart....hold on to your hats, it was approx. $1000.00 U.S. (1600.00 Can.). Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any used ones around here. The ones that I have found people don't want to sepperate from their tractors when they are selling. There is a disadvantage with the new ones...you can't put a 'roving nozzle' on them since the vacuum/turbo unit mounts directly onto the mower deck. But it will still be better than raking. Ok...I'm done rambling now. Hope this helps SimpleMan

Guy, Look at the photo I posted above. There is plenty of clearance. If your belt is touching the filter, something is wrong. Either it's the wrong belt, the belt is stretched, or there something wrong with the idler or spring.