Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Home Made Loader

BrianS

I'd like to draw from all of you that have loaders either home-made or store bought. I've been working on plans for a loader, or should I say thinking about working on plans for a loader, for a while now. I have no problems with the mechanics of it but how heavy is too heavy. Can anyone give me any pointers on the tube size to use? I was thinking 2 X 3 X 1/8 wall for the arms to start and maybe 1/8 for the bucket. I want to build it heavy enough to hold up but not over kill. I've seen some nice examples of home-made loaders that people have sent in but it's hard too tell how heavy they are. I know plans are out there but I think designing it would be half the fun. I would like to hear some trials and triumphs of others even if you have a store-bought one and found things that you like or don't like. It might spark some interesting discussion. Thanks Brian

Determine how much weight you will be lifting, the leverage, and the unsupported span. 2"x3"x1/8" mild steel will bend long before the same size of high tensile alloy steel.

No offense, but isn't 1/8" cross-section too light, given the pressures hydraulics can generate? Even if you're only lifting a few hundred pounds, surely pressures will soar into the thousands when rolling the bucket up, hitting stuff, etc.... I read that lifting a reasonable amount of weight, incorrectly, by bending the back, puts loads up to 11,000 lbs. psi on certain bones. I would think 3/16, at a minimum, is more appropriate. But this is a lay opinion, only.

Peter, That's why engineering is important. The "I" beam supporting the "static" load of your living room floor may be 1/2" thick, while the high tensile frame rails of a truck carrying 40 tons over a bumpy road may be less than 1/4" thick. Tensile strength of material and structural design are VERY important. Ever notice a retractable tape measure? That slight curve to the blade permits the blade to be extended 5'-6'. If the same blade was flat, it probably wouldn't be able to be extended over 2' without collapsing.

The engineering is all important. I'll be spending a good hunk of time on it. I put alot of stock in expertiance too. Thats why I threw this up for discussion. I figured I might head off some pitfalls by hearing about things that didn't work. Thanks for the replys.

I am planning to use 2x4, probably 3/16 thick for the arms. 1/8 is plenty in the bucket if you beef the corners, acouple of places in the bottom, and the attachment points. I want to be able to lift more than the tractor can carry. I am designing for a 500lb lift with the bucket at 800lb of hydraulic pressure. I've done some rough calculations and sketches, nothing I could post. By the way, I am going to use a power steering pump on this unit. They work fine, seen them in action. Rod H.

BrianS & Rod H, I sure hope you'll both keep us informed with your projects - Good luck! John(ri)