Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Guest karst

1920 Ultima PTO difficult to engage

Guest karst
The PTO on my 1920 Ultima has become difficult to engage. The PTO will be flipped into the engage position, and previously if it did not engage a bit of throttle would engage the clutch. Now it is taking a bit more, providing forward motion via the hydrostatic. It does not disengage until either flipped off or I make a dumb move and lean forward off the seat. I've recently had the coil/modules changed, and am wondering if something may be loose from the repair work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. K>

Al
K, I assume when the coil was changed, the clearance [air gap]was set in the clutch. I would use a .015 feeler guage and adjust the 3 nuts on the clutch for 015 clearance through the slots in the clutch. If you are referring to the interlock module when refering to the module, I would check ALL of the ground terminals. There are several grounds from the wiring harness. Any one of these being a rusty or loose connection can cause a lot of grief. Just follow the harness and any place you find a ground terminal check it. Also be sure the interlock module is getting a good ground. Good luck, Al Eden

tladams
Make sure your battery has at least 12v and is not shorted The pto not engaging is one of the first sign of battery problems in those tractors. hope this helps. TL Adams