Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JBucketman

3212 H right angle gear case questions

JBucketman
Guys, My right angle gear case that gets powered by the engine drive shaft stopped turning the horisontal shaft. In the mean time, I was looking at the belt and pulley that powers the hydro and noticed that it was out of alienment by about 3/4". I then pulled the pulleys of to remove the gear case and noticed the the horisantal shaft could be slid back and forth about 1.5" When I slid it all the way in one direction, the shaft would reingage and turn with the other shaft. I see silicone shmutz on the case cover and got worried. My questions are: Is there supposed to be an internal roll pin or something to keep the shaft from moving? Does anybody have a breakdown on the gear box that I could take a look at? Thanks for your help in advance, John

Dutch
That component is referred to as the "bevel gear box" or "BGB". #19 in the above illustration is a snap ring. There are several more (see the grooves in the shaft). If one breaks, or becomes dislodged, the shaft can move back and forth as you discribe.

MikeES
John, keep track of the washers, spacers (shims) on the driven side (that drives the hydro) of the BGB, and their location, these are important to get the correct compression when it is all back together. Good Luck! Mike S.

JBucketman
Guys, Something doesn't seem right here. There is no features in the shaft for clips. With the nut on the end of the shaft to hold the pulley on, you would think there should be collor to space the pulley away and to hold the shaft in place in the housing. Here are some pictures of it. Keep in mind this was repaired before I got it so knows what was lost Thanks, John[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=jbucketman&file=139"][/url][url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=jbucketman&file=140"][/url]

Dutch
I'm assuming there's a snap ring groove and a key way under (hidden) by the gear. Yes/No? Are those washers or shims in the photo? Was/is there a spacer (#5)? Is the shaft worn, or does it just look worn in the photo? The key is worn, how is the key way? The pulley could be OEM, just doesn't look like it from the few I've seen.

JBucketman
Dutch, There is no snap ring grove in the shaft anywhere. The key way is fine but the key got half sheared when the shaft slid over and disengaged from the gear. The washers seem to be write. When I reasembled it, there seemed to be the right amount amount of backlash in the gear set. I don't have spacer #5 and the strange thing on that the seal on that side fits tight to the shaft size. If the #5 spacer was missing, I would expect the seal ID to be larger to accomidate the spacer OD. Hmm... My BGB dosen't seem the same as the one in the picture. Thanks, John

PatRarick
According to my parts book, there is no clip on the shaft for the B-210, B-212, or the HB-212. The threaded end of the shaft should be 3/4" in diameter. It is stepped up to 13/16" where the bearing and bevel gear ride, and 7/8" from there on. When you assemble it, the shaft can slide out towards the PTO side. When you install the transmission drive pulley, the nut tightens the shaft in place with the bevel gear up against the bearing. In short, with the drive pulley and nut in place, the bevel gear is held from moving in by the step up on the shaft, and held from sliding out by the bearing. The mesh of the bevel gears is controlled by how far the bearing is pressed into the case. The seal is installed and shims are placed in the remaining bearing/seal recess until flush with the side of the case. The frame plate tightens against the shims and gearbox to prevent the bearing from being forced out and getting the gears out of mesh. The diagram posted by Maynard is for a newer tractor. Here, the gears had a 7/8" bore and a circlip keeps the gear from sliding inward. With that exception, the rest of the diagram should be the same. You do need that spacer. Without it, you can't tighten the bevel gear up against the bearing. The seal should be larger to accomodate the spacer. Pat Sorry, John. Guess I've got Allis-Chalmers on the brain. The HB-212 is the Allis equivilent of the 3212H

JBucketman
Thanks Pat, This diagram looks much closer to my BGB. And yes, I have a stepped shaft. Still a little confused though. I thought the spacer #32 should be on the hydro side and the diagram shows it on the pto side. I dont have #32, 7, and 8. I would think 9 is the seal. Do you have the parts discription too? This might help when going to the dealer. The next thing I will be fixing is the leak in the hydro control shaft. When I bought the tractor, the dealer sold me a re bushed housing. So it should be an easy job compaired to this one. Thanks again, John

PatRarick
John, I assume it's a printing error, but the spacer, #32, should be on the other side. Don't know what the thickness is, but #6 is a shim, AC #2025574. These are to be used as required. #7 is AC #2025575, and one is required. #8 is AC #2025644, oil seal. #9 is AC #2025427, ball bearing. #32 is AC #2027576, spacer. These numbers are from an original parts manual. I have been told at times, that these numbers have changed several times since this book was printed, and that they are sometime difficult to cross over to Simplicity or universal numbers. Hope this helps. If you need any other part #'s, let me know. Pat