Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3108 Electric Start

markjames

I have just aquired an old Simplicity 3108 electric start garden mower. Unfortunately it wont start. I have found that there is no spark. I have looked at everything I can and found two wires that seem to go together. One goes to a series of coils under the flywheel. The other is a red +12V lead. I think they should go together but when I connect them the current is about 6 Ampares. This may mean there is a switch missing or something eg Seat. On the other hand I could be completely wrong. Any ideas on how I can get the spark back will be greatly appreciated. Mark.

Here is a wireing diagram for 3100 series This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Maynard, Many thanks for the diagram but its not for mine it seems. I have no Ammeter or a place to put one, no generator, or at least that I can find, or is that the set of coils under the flywheel. I have two safety switches, one on the gearbox and one on the lever that dissengages the blades. I can find no voltage regulator but I do have two wires spare so there may be a clue there. This mower was for the British market, so that may explain the difference. Again many thanks for taking the time to reply. Mark

If you have a briggs engine see if you can find the info you need here. You will need the numbers off of your engine. Some one may have changed your engine at one time or another. http://www2.briggsandstratton.com/MainSite.asp?rsvp=0&CategoryID=40&PARENTID=7&LRID=1&EPAGE=/main/RealBriggs/WebSite/NA/EN/support_maintenance/manuals/index.mb&MSCSSID=1234 ScottS

If you have electric start you have to have a starter or you have a starter-generator. The ammeter might have been an option and the coils should be the mag. But if the engine has been changed it could be any thing. Is this a lawn tractor or a rear engine rider. We need more infomation better yet some pictures. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Mark, Since the wiring diagram doesn't match what you have, I assume the engine has been changed. If you have coils UNDER the flywheel, you either have a Tecumseh engine with the mag under the flywheel, or you have a Briggs with the alternator under the flywheel. The engine numbers would be of great help. Pat

The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Model No 190707 Type 5641-01 Code 80011609 I hope there is a picture here somewhere. Unfortunately the quality is poor and the mower is partly dissmantled but I hope its clear enough for you all. Many thanks for your efforts so far. Mark

That could explain it. The diagram i posted was for 3100 series lawn tractor. The 3108 is a rear engine rider mower. At the present time their are no pdf files available on the Simplicity publication site for the 3108 MF# 1690525 1690526 1690527 1690528 This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Trace the high tension wire from the spark plug. It should go to a coil (aka > armature, ignition module) that looks like this. Your engine MAY have points and condenser, or it may have solid state ignition (no points and condenser). There is a magnet in the flywheel. There must be an air gap between the coil and flywheel. Ignition timing is controlled by the flywheel to crankshaft key (often wears). The "series of coils" you describe is probably the alternator to recharge the battery. Remember, the starting electrical system has NOTHING to do with the ignition (magneto) electrical system. If your tractor has an "Ignition Interlock Module", DO NOT test it with an meter or continuity tester...... that may burn it out quick.

I sent this to you. Looks like the only difference is omitting the ammeter and headlights. This actually for my 190717 model engine it should work yours.

Many thanks to you all. I now have a spark. Sadly It wont start. At least I'm making progress. Next thing is without a manual I have no idea what the points and spark plug gap should be. Is there a standard setting fot the fuel mixture, I know from anothr B&S engine they suggest turning the jet fully clockwise and then back 1 1/4. Is there similar for this one? This thing WILL start soon. Thanks very much Mark

Points - .020, Spark plug - .025. Initial carb setting is 1 1/2 turns from LIGHTLY (do not force) seated. Pat

At last I've got it started. The problem I have now is, it is very much underpowered. The engine runs very slow. The exhaust glows red very quickly. When I shut off it backfires. When I look into the carb with the air filter off, I see what appears to be splashes of petrol (Gas). There are small sparks coming from the exhaust (this may be because of the heat). I have checked the throttle cable and linkages and they seem to be OK. I adjusted the mixture screw (on the bowl under the carb?) as suggested earlier. Any ideas. Mark

At last I've got it started. The problem I have now is, it is very much underpowered. The engine runs very slow. The exhaust glows red very quickly. When I shut off it backfires. When I look into the carb with the air filter off, I see what appears to be splashes of petrol (Gas). There are small sparks coming from the exhaust (this may be because of the heat). I have checked the throttle cable and linkages and they seem to be OK. I adjusted the mixture screw (on the bowl under the carb?) as suggested earlier. Any ideas. Mark