Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord steering

KSever

Looking at my steering gear down at the U-joint it looks as thought there should be a bushing inside the bolt that goes through the U-joint. Can't tell for sure. Does anybody out here have a drawing for the Landlord steering gears? Much appreciated, Kris

What model of Landlord? The "hybrid" you just acquired? If so, there should be a small steel bushing in each "ear" on the bottom yoke (the one with the gear on it) that the bolt goes through. They're similar to the ones that are used on each tie rod end at the front axle. There's no bushing in that rectanular block itself, as I recall... I can't remember if there are bushings on the connection to the steering shaft. There is also bronze bushing inside the gear down below the U-joint. It appears to be a pressed in bushing that may need honed to fit. I took the easy way out and added a thin washer as a shim underneath the gear. This removed most of the slop from mine.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

KSever, I have the manuals for 1967 Landlords and other similar tractors. If you want, I can copy the pages showing the steering gears and send them to you. Let me know, MadMike (Mike Z.)

Kris, How timely a topic. I'm going through my Landlord 2110 and am working on the steering system (removing slop). The through bolt (fork end of steering shaft and u-joint block) was supposed to be a 5/16" NC grade 8 bolt. The holes through the fork were really egged out/worn. My solution was to re-drill it and the block for a 3/8" grade 8 bolt. Get a bolt with a long enough non-threaded area to go the entire distance, then cut the threads just long enough to fit on a pair of jam nuts or all metal lock nut. Using a drill press will give the best results. Use an exact 3/8" bit and you should have a nice precise fit. Lube it up good since that joint seldom gets and regular maintenance. I had to do the same treatment on the shifter shaft/fork joint. Regards, Tom (PK)

That's it Kent, The hybrid '64-'67 whatever it is LOL. I think you guys just answered my question. I think I have a plan to get the slop out of it. Thanks, Kris