Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DGBork

Thanks-gear grinding 727

DGBork
Thanks to everyone who offered advice on solving my trouble with gear grinding on a 727 Broadmoor. I adjusted the brake and clutch rod collars tighter than the manual calls for and adjusted the belt guards as some had advised. It made a huge improvement. With the mower or no attachment the gear grinding is gone. With the tiller attached I still get a little bit of grinding occassionally. Maybe the momentum of the still slightly spinning tiller tines keeps the gears spinning slightly?? Anyway, it is much much beter than before! Thanks! Dave Borkman

Kent
Dave, Glad to hear the suggestions were helpful. I don't know how the Broadmoor's tiller drive works, but the old Landlord has a "[" shaped steel belt guide/stop that goes up next to the 3" drive pulley. If adjusted correctly, when you clutch the tiller drive, the belt will rub inside the top and bottom of this piece and eventually stop the belt.... Patience when clutching it may be the best solution for you... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...