Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
generalchaos

3416 H hydro question

generalchaos
Thanks to all the great advice I recieved I'm going to go ahead and re-motor my 3416H with the Briggs V twin 16hp Vanguard motor. I hope to post some pics later on when I get more into it. (need it back in service for snow blowing) BUT here is the question of the hour. Since I got the drive line apart should I take the hydro in to be tested, because it still had the power to spin the turf tires when I got hung up grading last year, but when I was mowing (before the engine melted down) I found that the tractor would almost come to a stop when I went up a 15 deg incline in one area of our property. Then coming back down it would almost triple its speed requiring me to constantly adjust with the hydro lever. Is this normal? It sure is a pain in the butt. Any thoughts?

ScottS
The speed up downhill and slow down uphill is how mine worked when it was running. I have to move the lever all the time. I would like to know how you make out I am looking to repower mine. ScottS