Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
powerking_one

B.G.B. Surprises??

powerking_one
I'm in the process of tearing into my Landlord 2110's BGB and was wondering what types of wear items I might expect to find. The input shaft is wobbly and the output shaft has too much end-play. Oil level looks OK and I don't see any metal/"sparkle-'es" in it. Do you think the input shaft is worn at the input needle bearing and will need replacement? Does the rear input ball bearing have issues with it? Are worn keyways on both shafts typical? I just would like to hear others' war stories on what they've seen when having to address BGB wear & overhaul issues. Thanks, Tom (PK)

G.Kiebler
Tom, The input shaft is a problem if it has worn thru needle bearing into the case. Typically people ignore the problem or don't know there is one due to the obscure location of of the input(driver)shaft. The driven shaft tends to fare alot better because it's supported by roller bearings not needle bearings.As far as the gears , I,ll have to replace them in my unit ,too much backlash and a few small chips in the gears,the oil was contamiated w/ water/condensation, this does'nt happen often. The keyways are usually in good condition,not much to tear up there. Be happy to hear from you to see how much you can get your parts for Good luck Gary P.s. I have a schematic of the bgb if you run into trouble.

SmilinSam
Usually the most common damage I find is a groove worn into the input shaft where it rides on the needle bearing. I have heard of things getting bad enought for the shaft to wear through the lip on the gear case from several people, but have yet to see it myself.

swood
Brand new shafts are about 40 bucks and the gears, 2 of them are cheap at all. With the time it takes and the $$$ . Change everything, bearing s, bushings, seals, and keyways. Its a learning experience if you have never done one and you will find out, BGB are the heart of the tractor but there is not a lot too them.

G.Kiebler
Tom, I found the keyway on the driver gear had worn causing the gear to lash back and for on the shaft,I'll be ordering a new set of gears to the tune of @$110,ouch!!! That's not including bearings and seals.

Dutch
Gary, If your gears are otherwise okay, a machine shop can cut a new keyway on the opposite side for a few bucks. Don't forget to install new conical washers and torque the bolt to spec.