Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
G.Kiebler

landlord 101 beveled gear box

G.Kiebler
I tore the bgb apart last night ,what a job getting it out, the driven shaft is ok but the driver shaft is questionable. Using a micrometer, It reads .745,that's .005 less where the roller bearing rides on the shaft, is that too much play or is a new driver shaft needed ?,I plan to use all new bearings and seals. The last driver shaft I bought a year ago,for my other 101, was $ 46 and change , was that a good price?

powerking_one
Gary, I too am tearing (about to) into my BGB on my 2110. I've surf'd torrington.com's web site an have learned more than I care to. For the "B" series or any of the needle bearing specs for shaft size tolerances; they're pretty tight. Say for 0.750" nominal, it's like +/- 0.0003" and change. Sounds like yours pretty worn. My BGB's input shaft is wobbly and am still waiting for some reply posts. Looks like all the major proprietary Simplicity parts (gears, shaft) are getting about $50.00 each--give or take. I use jacksmallengines.com's price database for reference. Beveliing together, Tom (PK)