Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hot Starter Generator????

LesH

Does anyone know how hot the Starter/ Generator should get during normal operation?? I don't see any smoke, flame or melting....yet. What kinds of electrical tests can I perform to make sure it is charging?? Any comments appreciated!!!!!!

The easiest test I know of is to test the battery voltage while running. Should get about 12-12.5V when tractor is off, 13-14V when running and charging. I have had numerous SG problems over the last few years and lots of disgust but finally got them all solved thanks to this club. They do run hot but will get hotter if a bearing or bushing on the older style is failing or if the belt is too tight. They will get really hot if the regulator points are stuck causing the generator to charge all the time. It will overwork the thing and burn it up. Check out Al Eden's articles on the Simpletractors page for alot more info. Brent

Les, They run pretty hot. A lot hotter than one would think they should. You can check the output with a voltmeter but you need an ampmeter also. Do a site search for "starter/generators". There have been many discussions that should answer most, if not all, of your questions. Also see if you can find Al Eden's posts on how they work and how to fix them. Good luck, Roy

Roy