Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Charging problems

goatfarmer

Put a new battery in my AC712 w/Kohler 12 hp.Ran it for a while,and shut down. Went to restart,and acted like battery was low. Put a meter across the battery terminals. At full throttle,the meter went constantly between 13.6V,and 12.2V.Might be at 13 for a second,then down to 12.4 for a second,then back to 12.9 for a second,etc. No constant voltage reading.Does this sound like a problem with the regulator/rectifier(fig 16 in the manual).Anyone have a rough guesstimate on price? TIA kenny

Hi Ken, voltage regulator for Kohler 8hp thru 24hp engines with 15amp Alternator, K Models. (two terminals top, one bottom) Part # 41-403-06, is $39.95 in the Foley-Belsaw Cat....Art

If the voltage is bouncing like you say, I'd furst check for a broken wire or a corroded contact. By-the-way, I have had wires break inside the insulation, the wire will be intact, but the conductor is broken. Rod H.

problem could be poor negative ground. Dirt, corrosion, etc should be sanded clean. Check the battery negative ground strap for tight, CLEAN contact. While at it, clean the volt reg contacts and key switch contacts. disconnectbattery negative cable, set multi-meter to DC amps---one wire to battery negative post, other to negative cable...if it shows reading, something is drawing down battery--alternator or diode bad or fuse in charging circuit?

And the winner is.... Rod Hubbard,with an assist from Colm! 3 wires go into a plastic connector,which plugs into the bottom of the regulator.One wire wasn't fully snapped in place,and also had a buildup of dirt,etc on it. Voltage still varies,but not as much,and stays above 13.3 V.Amp gauge seems a bit calmer,too!Thanks,everyone! kenny

Colm: Welcome to the Club! And thank you for explaining how to use the "DCA" setting on my multi-meter. I tried it some other way, and suspect that it no longer works because I blew the meter's fuse (too disgusted to open it up to find out--lol!). When I read how to do it, I was "shocked" at my own "dimness," in not seeing that to measure CURRENT, you have to get the meter into the flow of the current. Thanks again. Peter/Big Six