Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

4040 Rear PTO Spline Size

Does anyone know the size of the rear PTO spline size on a Powermax? Also, know of any adapters available to match up to 1-3/8" 6 spline equipment? Finally, some suggestions on adding 2 additional hydraulic ports with control for a front end loader. Thanks Phil

powermax_paul
Phil, The PTO is a 1" involute spline with 15 internal teeth. It rotates at 2000 RPM at rated engine speed. If using a loader, I would not recommend using the tractor hydraulics, but rather a separate hydraulic system driven by the front PTO. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

BigSix
Paul: What is an "involute" spline? Hey--did you say "spline?" As great as these tractors are, (and they are!), I didn't think Simplicity knew that word--I haven't seen a spline on either of ours yet. J/k. Peter

powermax_paul
Peter, An involute spline tooth is much like an involute gear tooth. The side of the tooth has a radius of curvature such that when it meshes with other teeth on the driven component the contact point creates a "pressure angle" measured from tangent with the pitch circles of the two gears. Involute merely refers to the design of the sides of the teeth on the splined shaft.

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian