Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrendonV

Mowing ?'s

BrendonV
Anybody have some basic tips about mowing? I just got my Broadmoor set up for mowing my grass thanks to Sandy Lake. After i mow for a certain period of time, i disengage the blades then when i try to turn down the throttle it doesnt like to idle. Is it because of strain on the engine from mowing? Or is it just from the heat? Or is it Simply something else? I mow at 3/4 throttle, is that O.K.? Thanks. BrendonV

KSever
I have read this before about what everyone thought about throttle speed and mowing. I think the census was full throttle to keep the rpm's up for the Mower deck blade speed. Which makes since to me, I would think the faster the engine speed would mean the more revolutions the blades would spin and the more times the blades would cut.

BigSix
I believe the consensus of the "full throttle mowers" was that the higher RPM helps ensure adequate cooling. I mow at less than full throttle when the load is light, so that I'm confident it is not overheating. I run full throttle when it's heavy stuff. Our Landlord 2110 also seems to "float" above it's set idle speed, once the load is removed, but I know the throttle shaft/bushings are drastically worn, and the mixture is deliberately "off" to compensate for the extra air, so I wasn't worried about it, as basically right now, although it runs like a champ from 2,000 to 3,000 RPM, it's condition is S.N.A.F.U. I'm too busy (lazy?) using it to take the carb down for the rebuild kit I have for it. Does anybody have a tractor that's to spec. that also does this "high idle" idling? Peter

HubbardRA
I have rebuilt two carbs because of this very problem. Both idled great afterward. I usually set my idle speed a little low and adjust the actual idle that I want with the throttle lever. That way I can set it from the driver's seat and make it right every time. Rod H.

JordB110
BigSix: "I mow at less than full throttle when the load is light, so that I'm confident it is not overheating." When you operate at less than full speed there is more strain on the engine and less cooling air, therefore, the engine runs hotter. Also, the majority of the cooling is done by the gas evaporating off of the piston, so, the faster it is spinning, the more gas that is going into the engine. When engine speed is doubled, the amount of cooling air is increased by four times. You should always run at full throttle under load unless you are running a power driven attachment that calls for a particular speed, such as, a sickle bar mower or maybe a tiller.(I always do.) Jordan