Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity pow'r max

john

I'm looking at buying a small tractor called the Simplicity Pow'r Max by Allis Chalmers. The problem is the model number is washed off and no one knows what it is. Can anyone give any clues to what it could be-has front and rear PTO, hydraulic 3-point hitch in back and an Onan cckb-ms/2733j engine, 60" mower deck. He wants $3500 for it and says it has 200 hrs(hour meter. I'd appreciate any help.

To:
Bob, Roy and Fred,
The engine no. on my 620's are CCKB-MS/2440H
Ser. No. 1272538066
and CCKB-MS/2440H Ser.No. 1172530858.
This doesn't seem to correspond with the engine no.
on the Power Max, Bob, unless Sim. and Allis had
diffent numbering systems. Let me know if you guys find out anything more. It seems there is a lot to learn about these tractors.Floyd

... a late 9020, assuming that the engine is original. I have no further info on which to guess, so anybody else please jump in here.
Fred

Re Simplicity Power Max. They are good tractors made from late 60's to early 80's by Simplicity for Allis Chalmers. They came in a Simplicity number 4041 which had a 18 or so HP Onan CKKB engine and the 9020 series which had about a 20 hp engine. They were essentially the same tractor, however. The AC line was numbered 620 and 720. I have 3 of these. They are very sound tractors, well made, and have years of life in them. BUT, the parts are becoming scarce and the cost of parts going thru the roof. The engine is a potential problem as the parts are hard to find because AC had the engines made by Onan to their own specs. and no other Onan engine has the same crankshaft size that I've found. At any rate, I think the price is a bit high unless it is in excellent appearance and running shape needing no repairs. The mower deck should be examined for rust and the spindles for wear. Otherwise, I would try to bargin it down a bit.

Just to add to Roy's answer. This would be a 4041 or 9020 with a 19.5 horse CCKB. That's equivalent to an A-C 620 or 720. The earlier 4040 (A-C 616) has the 16.5 horse CCKA. All these models are essentially the same. I agree with Roy, the price sounds a bit high, and the Onans are becoming a problem. Some of us are working up info on engine swaps for this series. It's work-in-progress. If it runs very well and all else is right with it, bargain.
TO: Floyd or another owner of one of these: Could you check that engine spec number against yours to see which model this might be?
Fred

I have a 616. Motor number is CCKA-MS 2026G, Ser 0472434089, Tractor Ser 1852219. I was told at time of purchase that the engine had been rebuilt or replaced can't remember which.

Del

• 1 month later...
I know I'm posting this a bit late, but I'm new here :^)

I have a Simplicity Pow'r Max also. Engine is an Onan model #CCKB MS/2440H Serial #174747989.

Tractor: Only number on it is a I.D. #954 002828. Another sticker just below it that says:
"RD. 1973 SIMPLICITY MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC."

Just thought you guys might be interested.