Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
arjr111

Why collect junkers?

arjr111
This is one reason why I hate to throw anything away. I took the (red) shifter lever off a snapper rider, cut most of the mounting bracket off and some of the spring to lessen the tension and adapted it to run my bolens fwd and reverse. Only, about an hour of work. I can still use the foot pedal to move it, too. Sometimes my foot gets tired of pushing toe fwd and heel backward, and the lever actually gives me more control at lower speed.....Art

HubbardRA
I collect lots of junk. That way if something doesn't work the way I want, I can usually find something to fix it with. Unfortunately, none of my tractors are now setup like they came from the factory. But they all work better.l Rod H.

SmilinSam
I agree, its nice to have spare parts layin about. I am experimenting with lengthening the wheel base on my DA 916 with the quick way loader on it. Took a spare front axle and cut it apart , flipped the main axle part around so the ends sweep forward rather tha to the back and welded it all back together. That set the front wheels about 3" farther forward to help balance the weightbetter and hopefully help the steering a bit. I need to lengthen the steering rod and extend the tie rod to clear, then I can try it out. If it does not work I can always get another axle and put it back to original. SmilinSam

BigSix
Art: That looks like a serious machine. What horse, and do you have an easily-posted pic showing the whole tractor? (I'm headed out of town for a week, so if I don't comment, it's not b/c I'm horrified at all the "non-orange" paint a full pic would show. It'll be rough, but I can handle it. Sam: That sounds like the coolest mod. And I bet 3" will make a very noticeable difference. It sounds like you have either raised Garden Tractorin' to an art form, or you are practicing to audition for Junkyard Wars.... Had you considered the latter? And on that topic, who here feels that show went downhill when it becamse "Americanized?" It seems that now they just replace components and run a vehicle similar to as-designed, as opposed to turning a motorcycle sideways to make a three-wheeled pulling tractor. And remember when they made an amphibious vehicle out of the inverted roof of a "minibus," with an airscrew and a car engine?

goatfarmer
I agree,the British version of JYWars was much better. Much more imagination went into their projects. BTW,nice tractor,Art!

arjr111
That, does sound like a neat mod., Sam, can't wait to see pics. of your 916, hope, it's done soon. Peter, its a 12HP Wisconsin Engine, runs real nice. Got a sicklebar with a Case, found out it goes on a Bolens, explained to my wife that I couldn't sell the sicklebar without the mower....So now, I have them both on Ebay, but,....Ssssshh, don't tell my wife, I have the reserve up at $1150.00, and it will never sell...........Art.