Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
goatfarmer

Hydro filter

goatfarmer
I went to change the hydrostat filter on my AC712. Old filter had been on there forever,and had no numbers on it. Before heading to the dealer,I looked at some filters I had on the shelf. One I found is the Purolator LF3001,an oil filter which fit an old Ford truck I had. A little longer,but the gasket,and threaded hole was the same.It's on there now,with no apparent problems.Anyone know if this an acceptable replacement? thanks! kenny

BillC
Be very careful when using aftermarket filters. Aftermarket filters not designed for the specific application can cause filtering and fluid flow issues. The Simplicity Large Frame Garden Tractors Service & Repair Manual states in the Sundstrand series 15 hydrostatic transmission section the filtration is 25 micron. What is the micron rating of the aftermarket filter? The money you save on an aftermarket filter can cost you more money later in repair costs. The maintenance schedule calls for replacing the hydro filter every 400 hours or whenever changing fluid. How much does a OEM filter cost per hour of operation versus an aftermarket?