Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Digital hour meter/tach died quickly...

Kent

I received a digital tach/hour meter from Northern Tool as one of my Christmas gifts, and just installed it a couple of weeks ago when I put the rebuilt 16HP engine in my B-210... It "died" with less than 2 hours use... it just displays 1720 RPM now, regardless of which reset buttons I press... I called Northern, and they gave me a "Return Authorization" and they'll exchange it, which is great -- their stated policy is that you must return things within 30 days. I explained that this was a gift and that I waited to install it to coincide with a "new engine." Has anyone else tried these? How do they hold up for you? I'm beginning to wonder if I'd been better off with a more traditional hourmeter... But I like the tach, and didn't want to cut a hole for the guage... I'm not sure what brand they are, and the one I have doesn't look exactly like the one currently shown on their site: Here's the link to what appears to be a newer version on Northern's site... http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=524744&prmenbr=6970 The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I put a "Tiny-Tach" on my B-110 and it appears to be working fine. I bought it through a local small engine dealer and it came wrapped in a Briggs and Stratton package. However, I'm pretty sure that it can be bought over the counter also. The picture looks very similar to the one I have. Recently I bought a "Roto-Zip" tool. Is is similar to a Dremel type tool but much more powerful. Got it at Home Depot. First one failed within an hour of operation. Took it back and got an exchange. SEcond one failed the same way within an hour. Took it back and talked to the head man. He said they hadn't had any trouble with the unit. So I got a third, but this time I noticed that the color shade of the housing was different shade. Took it home and it been working fine since. The moral is that there was evidently a bad lot of this unit. The darker gray model seems ok. What you may have is a bad run of the units, hope you can get a good one. DaveG

i have no experience with the item you have kent although it is on my short list of things i want for my 3112. Let us know how you make out, the folks at northern are pretty good, i get a lot of stuff from them and have yet to have a hard time on returns. Also i recall that a member had a post that had was linked to a place that sold these same items. If i recall they were about 59$, you might want to check them out if northern is no help.

Kent, I have a couple of Tiny Tachs that I have on our pulling tractors, they are now a couple of years old. No problems. These came in Briggs and Stratton packaging. Remember the internal battery is supposed to be good for (I believe) 5 years. So if the one you have has been siitting on the shelf for many years...... But if it is still displaying, I would guess that the battery is OK. Good Luck! Mike S.

It's "shouldn't" matter with a solid state device, but I always try to avoid mounting electronic devices solid to a vibrating base. If a suitable grommet is not available, you could try faucet washers.

I bought one of those off Ebay a year ago cheap. I don't have it installed in a tractor, I just use it as a tool to set my high throttle stop on the tractors I work on. Its been working for that just fine. Sam