Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
roma3112

JUST CURIOUS

roma3112
Was out mowing the lawn this am and got to thinking,of a question to ask of you guys. Here it goes: If you had a favorite tractor which was old, in great shape, but the parts were somtimes hard to come by, would you use it often or just keep her in the shed only to come out on special occasions.

jrichason
I would use it. I'm also into old cars and I find that I get more enjoyment out of driving/using and tinkering than anything else. Plus, sometimes it is harder on machinery to just sit than be used. Just my two cents worth. John

arjr111
John, I also like to use my tractors but, I must admit my little Allis B-207 is so pretty, I would never ask her to mow the lawn. She is hooked up with a snowthrower and hopefully will not have much to do......Art

KSever
I not so sure I would use my 717 all the time after putting 2 1/2 years into the restoration. I have to use it for about 2 weeks to mow while I get my Wonder-Boy 355 in running condition though.

roma3112
that is one nice 717!!!!! I think that you should be proud of that job, if i were you i would have a special place in the garage for that one.

FrankieC
If they're just sitting, taking up space, I find myself thinking of selling them. when I'm using them, I wonder how I could think of selling them!! Gotta use 'em.

KSever
Mowed the grass today for the first time with the 717 since I sold the 4111. What a difference in the cut. With the 717 you get that Simplicity striping and man does it look good and even as can be. That newer 4111 mower deck didn't have rollers all the way across the back and didn't get those stripes and not an even cut. I just hate to see that little tractor get dirty but HEY, it is a lawn tractor. Kris

powermax_paul
That IS a nice looking B207, Art. I just finished mine, but I'm using it to mow anyway. If you don't use em from time to time, they end up not running so good. My experience. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

arjr111
Paul, are you really making your "Allis" work? I know we don't agree that often, but, I really did think, you were a nice guy......Art Frankie, my wife is always on me, to sell my machines. "What are you going to do with them all" blah, blah, blah.... But, for some reason, when it comes to that little Yellow Bee, she says, "never sell that one". I think its because "its so darn pretty"!!..Art

HubbardRA
Both my 61 Wards, and my 77 AC 716H earn their keep. I like the old tractors because they were designed for hard work. With some good TLC the will outlast all of us. Rod H.

goatfarmer
I plan on having one nice tractor.The others earn their keep Unfortunately,I keep tellin' the Mrs. that I'm still looking for the one nice one!

harebare
Use if you got'em on several occassions people have stopped while I was mowing and asked by them how old is your mower, they can't beleive that its forty years old.[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=harebare&file=176"][/url]

roma3112
To think i had one of the nicest lookin tractors out there! Boy that surely is one of the best looking ones out there i have seen, What is your main use with it mowing, gardening?

Karl_Brandt
I use my Allis Chalmers 912H & Simplicity 3416H to cut the lawn & plow the snow in the winter.My Allis Chalmers HB-112 runs my dumping trailer. Some are used for work and a few are show tractors.